Upgrade your boring lunchtime sandwich with this easy Tuna and Cheese Melt Panini recipe. Homemade tuna mayo with red onions, a splash of Sherry or Balsamic vinegar and a pinch of paprika. Sandwiched between cheese slices inside a panini roll.
Toasted in a George Foreman or Optigrill until the roll is perfectly crisp and the cheese is deliciously melted into the onion and tuna mayonnaise mixture! Best lunch ever!
See our step by step slide show on how we made our Tuna and Cheese Melt Panini.
How to make tuna mayo and onion sandwich filler?
Simply mix together a tin of tuna with ½ a red onion (finely diced), 3 tbsp of mayo, a pinch of paprika, with a splash of sherry / balsamic vinegar. This will make enough to serve 2 in panini rolls.
How to make Tuna and Cheese Panini?
Spread some mayo on both sides of panini roll, add a slice of cheese on the bottom followed by the tuna mayo mixture, then another cheese slice. Finally, finish with the top half of panini.
Obviously, if you wanted it can be eaten like this as a cold panini roll.
However, we like to make it into a heavenly cheese and tuna melt.
How to make toasted Tuna and Cheese Melt Panini?
Spray both the top & bottom preheated grill plates with some spray oil, we used Frylight.
Place the panini on the grill plate & shut lid gently on top. Set timer for 4 minutes.
Check to see if panini roll is crisp and cheese has melted.
Serve up with side salad and crisps or fries.
The cheese melts so beautifully into the tuna mayo and onion mix. You will undoubtedly savour every mouthful!
Tuna and Cheese Melt Panini
- 2 Panini Rolls
- 4 Slices Mozzarella or Cheddar best to buy pre-sliced
- 1 Tin Tuna
- ½ Red Onion Finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Light Mayonaise Save some or use extra for spreading on roll
- Splash Sherry vinegar or Balsamic Vinegar
- Paprika Pinch
- Black Pepper to taste
- Add all the Tuna Mayo ingredients together in a bowl
- Spread Mayonnaise on both sides of panini roll
- Between the panini roll, layer up cheese, tuna mayo, then another cheese slice on top.
- Spray a little bit of oil on the plates of a preheated Optigrill or George Foreman and gently shut lid on top.
- It should take about 4 minutes, for the roll to be crisp and the cheese to have melted.
- Cut in half and serve with crisps or fries & salad.
How could anyone resist this cheesy feast! 🙂
Equally good for lunchtime treats, check out our Sun-dried Tomato and Bacon swirls.