Looking for a new recipe using canned tuna? Easy Tinned Tuna Burgers are a favourite in our house, so quick and easy to make and they taste delicious!
Two tins of tuna mixed together with breadcrumbs, parmesan, onion, egg, mayo, dried herbs, and garlic. Made into a burger, perfectly cooked until crispy on the outside and moist inside.
A healthy option is to cook them in the oven, although they are healthier compared to most other burger patty anyway!
Simple steps to make Tuna Burgers?
See our step by step slide show for how to make the best tuna burgers, full ingredients and instructions can be found on the recipe card below. In both UK and US measurements.
What ingredients do I need?
All the ingredients are basic storecupboard products everyone tends to have to hand. Easy to rustle up anytime for lunch or dinner!
Spring Onions - leave them out or finely dice a ½ a normal onion.
Breadcrumbs- Use any packet of breadcrumbs. Alternatively, check out this, by Martha Stewart for how to make your own using bread.
Egg- Replace with another tablespoon of mayo
Mayo- If you are looking for a no mayo recipe, simply replace with another egg.
So easy, just throw all the ingredients in a bowl (except the canned tuna) mix together. Finally, add the tuna and mix gently, careful not to break it up too much.
Divide mixture into 4 sections and shape them into rounded patties. Each tuna patty should be about the size of the palm of your hand. Or the diameter of a tuna can!
Make smaller tuna burgers to serve as starters (great for a thai meal starter) or smaller for serving to the kids.
Heat oil in a non-stick pan and place all burger patties into fry on one side for 6-8 minutes (less if you made smaller burgers) than gently flip over the tuna burger, proceed to cook for further 6-8 minutes.
The Tuna Burger should be golden and crispy on the outside and still soft on the inside.
Can I oven bake instead?
Shallow frying is tasty but if you prefer to make them in a healthier way! Simply bake them in the oven instead.
Preheat oven to 170°C fan / 190°C / 375°F place on parchment paper in a baking tray and cook for 10 minutes before flipping and cooking on the other side for a further 10 minutes.
What to serve with?
These tuna burgers make a filling lunch, snack or starter by themselves.
Or make them for dinner and serve your tuna patty alongside Salad, Rice, Fries, New Potatoes, Noodles, Vegetables, Pasta, Jacket Potato, or try turning into a proper burger in a bun.
You choose how to serve them, they taste amazing.
In this case, we served ours up with rice & made our favourite spicy mayo sauce. Perfect to drizzle and dip them in and tastes amazing!
If not making the burgers for kids? We sometimes use 1 tablespoon of spicy mayo sauce in place of the plain mayo, in the burger. This gives them a thai style flavour!
Recipe for Spicy Mayo sauce on the recipe card below.
These canned tuna burgers can be made ahead and store the uncooked patty in the fridge, for up to 2 days before cooking. Or can be frozen premade for up to 3 months in your freezer in an airtight container or freezer bag.
If you have already cooked the tuna burgers you can also store them in the fridge or freeze them. Simply defrost the tuna patty before reheating.
To reheat your precooked tinned tuna burger, simply refry them in the pan for 5 minutes each side. Or place them in the oven at 170°C fan / 190°C / 375°F for 15 minutes.
You could use a microwave to reheat but I can imagine they may go a little soggy? (I have not actually tried it!)
Easy Tinned Tuna Burgers
- 1 large Egg beaten
- 3 tablespoon Parmesean finely grated
- 3 spring onions (green onions) chopped small or ½ brown onion finely diced
- 30 g (½ cup) Breadcrumbs we used panko but natural or even make your own from bread.
- 1 teaspoon Mixed Herbs choose your favorites
- ½ lemon zest and juice (use the other half to squeeze on when served)
- 1 tablespoon Low Fat Mayo
- 1 teaspoon Gia Garlic Puree 2 cloves crushed
- salt & pepper
- 290 g (2 tins) Tinned Tuna in oil/spring water or brine
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil to fry in
Spicy Mayo Sauce (optional) just mix the below ingredients together in a bowl.
- 120 g (½ cup) Low fat Mayo
- 60 g (¼ cup) sweet chilli sauce
- 2 teaspoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Puree We use Gia brand
- Put all ingredients except oil and tuna into a bowl mix ingredients together until well combined.
- Add Tuna, mix-up, but try not to over mix as tuna will turn to mush!
- Divide mixture into 4. Using your hands, shape into 4 palm-sized burgers.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add the 4 burgers.Cook on one side for 6-8 mins medium-low heat.
- Flip (carefully)Cook on other side for 6-8 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan / 190°C / 375°F place on parchment paper in a baking tray and cook for 10 minutes.Flip and cook on the other side for a further 10 minutes.
- Ready to serve!! We usually serve ours with rice, noodles or chips and salad.
This post was originally published on 28/03/2020 and has been modified on 15/03/2021. Oven cooking method has been added and how to store, reheat and freeze canned tuna burgers.
Easy Tinned Tuna Burgers are a regular dinner in our house, hope you enjoy as much as we do!
Go check out our other recipes, the spicy mayo sauce is also used in our Spicy Chicken Burger (check it out)!