Crispy fried spicy chicken breast layered between, Brioche Bun, lettuce, cheese, gherkins and lashing of homemade spicy mayo sauce.
The perfect Spicy Chicken Burger.
I used to get the most delicious, Spicy Chicken Burger from my home towns Fried Chicken Takeaway.
Since I moved away I have not found one as good as that!
So there was only one thing for it!
After a few attempts testing out different ingredients, I finally recreated it and here I share the recipe with you to make your own!
See our step by step slide show on how we made our mouthwatering Spicy chicken burger.
Spicy Chicken Burger marinade
The first step is to marinate your chicken with a spicy sauce. We used Chilli Puree, Garlic Puree, English mustard, vinegar, pepper and finally a pinch of salt. Mix together to form the spicy marinade. You can add more chilli puree if you like it really spicy?!
Next, butterfly a chicken breast (cut it in half lengthways), this will make 2 burgers now.
Why butterfly chicken?
The reason for splitting the chicken breast is to give you thinner, more even chicken breast, which is quicker to cook and stops your burger being uneven.
Coat both chicken halves all over with the marinade, cover the bowl and set aside to marinate, whilst you prepare the other ingredients.
Twenty minutes at room temperature is enough time for this to marinate.
How to make Spicy Mayo Burger sauce?
Simply, combine Mayonaise, Sweet Chilli Sauce, Honey and chilli puree to make it extra hot (add at the end and taste test until at your desired heat)!!
An amazing combination of sweet, creamy and spicy all in one! Set the sauce aside for later.
Before you start cooking your spicy chicken burgers, I suggest getting your lettuce, gherkins, cheese and buns sliced and sauce ready to assemble the burger once it's cooked!
How to coat Chicken for frying?
Get two shallow bowls. In each mix together.
Bowl 1 - Flour, paprika and pepper
Bowl 2 - Egg and milk
Dip both sides of chicken in the flour mix, then egg mix, then another dip in flour, pressing flour firmly onto the chicken.
How to deep fat fry chicken without a deep fat fryer?
Follow these important tips for perfect crispy chicken
Leave the flour dredged chicken to rest on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes whilst you heat the oil. This will help the coating to stick to the chicken.
You do not need a deep fat fryer, put enough oil to fill ⅓ of a large cast-iron pan and heat the oil to 180C (it is important to check the temperature).
Only cook 1 piece of chicken at a time, otherwise, the oil cools down too much.
Lower the chicken carefully into the oil using a metal utensil.
Cook for 3-4 minutes turn over and cook the other side for another 3-4 minutes.
Remove and let sit on the (cleaned) wire rack for 5-10 minutes to stop the bottom from going soggy. If cooking more place on a wire rack in a 160C / 320F oven adding the pieces as they cook.
What goes good on a chicken burger?
Now for the all-important Chicken Burger assembly!
Place a generous dollop of spicy mayo sauce on the bottom of the bun, lettuce, spicy chicken breast, pickles, more sauce, cheese, more lettuce, and a final dollop of sauce, before the top of the Brioche bun!
Alternatively, you could switch or add Coleslaw, Sliced Onion, Jalapeno, Bacon, Tomatoes, Onion Rings, BBQ Sauce, Mayo or Mustard.
Give the burger a little squeeze to make the sauce come out the edges!
There you have it, one Spicy Chicken Burger ready to demolish.
As can be seen, there was only one burger in the photo......... we couldn't wait so we devoured the first one whilst we deep fat fried the second one for the photos!!
What to serve with Spicy Chicken Burger?
Spicy Chicken Burger
Marinade for Chicken
Coating the chicken
- 120 g (1 cup) Plain Flour
- 60 g (½ cup) Corn Starch
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch Salt
- 75 ml (⅓ cup) Milk
- 1 egg
Spicy Mayo Sauce
- 120 g ( ½ cup) Mayonnaise
- 60 g (¼ cup) Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 2 teaspoon Honey
- 1-2 teaspoon Gia Chilli Puree add more to taste!
- 2 Brioche Buns
- 2 large Gherkins/ Pickled Cucumber sliced
- 4 large Iceberg Lettuce leaves
- 2 slices Cheese choose your fav!
- Mix Chilli Puree, Garlic Puree, English mustard, vinegar, pepper and a pinch of salt together to form a marinade.1 teaspoon Vinegar, 1 teaspoon English Mustard, 1 teaspoon Gia Garlic Puree, 1 teaspoon black pepper, pinch salt, 1 teaspoon Gia Chilli Puree
- Butterfly chicken breast lengthways to make 2 halves.1 Chicken Breast
- Coat both chicken breast portions with marinade, cover and set aside.
Create Spicy Mayo Sauce
- Mix Mayonaise, Sweet Chilli Sauce & Honey together.120 g ( ½ cup) Mayonnaise, 60 g (¼ cup) Sweet Chilli Sauce, 2 teaspoon Honey
- Add chilli sauce a bit at a time stirring in and tasting until at desired spiciness?1 teaspoon Gia Chilli Puree
- In two shallow bowls, mix.Bowl 1 - Flour, cornflour, paprika and pepper Bowl 2 - Egg and milk120 g (1 cup) Plain Flour, 60 g (½ cup) Corn Starch, 1 teaspoon Paprika, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 75 ml (⅓ cup) Milk, 1 egg, pinch salt
- Dip both sides of chicken in the flour mix,
- Then egg mix.
- Then another dip in flour, pressing flour firmly onto the chicken.
Cook the halved chicken breast - see the recipe notes below for more tips
- Deep Fat Fry - Bring oil to 180°C/ 360°F and fry for about 4 minutes each side (8 minutes in total)
- Shallow Fry - Place enough oil to fill the pan surface. Heat oil first, turn to medium-high heat, cook on one side for 5-6 minutes, then flip & cook on the other side for 5-6 minutes. Always check that chicken is cooked throughout.
Building your burger
- Place a generous dollop of spicy mayo sauce on the bottom of the bun, lettuce, spicy chicken breast.4 large Iceberg Lettuce leaves
- Pickles, more sauce, cheese, more lettuce, and a final dollop of sauce, before adding the top of the Brioche bun!2 large Gherkins/ Pickled Cucumber, 2 slices Cheese, 2 Brioche Buns
- Switch or add Coleslaw, Sliced Onion, Jalapeno, Bacon, Tomatoes, Onion Rings, BBQ Sauce, Mayo or Mustard.
- Leave the flour dredged chicken to rest on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes whilst you heat the oil. This will help the coating to stick to the chicken.
- You do not need a deep fat fryer, put enough oil to fill ⅓ of a pan and heat the oil to 180C (it is important to check the temperature).
- Only cook 1 piece of chicken at a time, otherwise, the oil cools down too much.
- Lower the chicken carefully into the oil using a metal utensil.
- Cook for 4 minutes turn over and cook the other side for another 4 minutes.
- Remove and let sit on the (cleaned) wire rack for 5-10 minutes to stop the bottom from going soggy. If cooking more place on wire rack in a 160C / 320F oven adding the pieces as they cook.
- Always check chicken is cooked through, different sized breast may take less/more time?
If you like making takeaway food like this Spicy Chicken Burger at home?
Another great chicken breast recipe is our parmesean chicken mozzarella.