Give our Takeaway Chicken Kebab Recipe a try. Chicken marinated in yogurt and spices, grilled to perfection. Everyone loves a cheeky kebab and now you can recreate it at home.
We use skinless, boneless chicken thighs. The thigh has darker meat which, in my opinion, is more juicy and tender compared to the breast. It is also a cheaper option. Of course, if you prefer breasts, use them!
See our step by step slide show on how we make our takeaway-chicken-kebab-recipe, full ingredients and instructions can be found on the recipe card below.
How to make your own Kebab?
First, marinate the chicken. This can be done either the night before or the morning before. Allow the flavours to soak in. But also fine to be used straight away.
We used 0% fat Greek yogurt to keep the fat level down. (You can use a full-fat version instead if preferred).
Mix yogurt, olive oil, cinnamon, turmeric, ground coriander, lemon zest & juice, garlic, salt & black pepper together in a large pot. Add whole boneless, skinless chicken thighs and stir to cover them in yogurt.
Use 2 kebab skewers to thread the marinated thighs onto. Fold the thinner parts over to keep them all at the same thickness.
What to cook Kebabs on?
The best way to cook kebabs is under the grill. You can use a conventional grill.
However, we prefer to use the Tefal Optigrill we have had this for 2 years and love it. It has thickness measurement sensors and 6 programs (burger, poultry, bacon, sausage, red meat, and fish). It automatically cooks at the right temperature and time for whatever you are cooking.
When cooking steak it is great! The LED cooking level indicator accurately indicates the level of cooking from rare to well-done. Takes the guesswork out of it!
Also, the clean up is quick and easy, once the plates have cooled they can be put in the dishwasher. Come out like new every time, no scrubbing needed!
Turn the Optigrill on keeping it shut, select chicken and allow the plates to warm up. It will beep when ready.
Open plates, place in kebabs and shut the plate. Now leave it to cook all the way to dark orange or red.
Meanwhile, you can make your salad.
Thinly slice lettuce, cabbage (white or red or both), cucumber & onions. Use a julienne cutter or a grater to finely cut the carrot. You can add tomatoes too if wanted? Drizzle with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.
When the chicken has finished remove from the grill. Add the pitta breads on to the grill for a couple of minutes. Meanwhile, use a sharp knife to slice the chicken on top of the salad.
You're ready to fill your pitta bread with salad, sauce & chicken.
Kebab shop sauce recipe?
We made a fantastic Kebab shop chilli sauce recipe to complement these Takeaway Chicken Kebab Recipe perfectly! You can start cooking it whilst the chicken is marinating in the fridge. Leave it to simmer whilst the chicken is cooking. They will both be ready at roughly the same time!
Alternatively, or additionally, try out our Garlic mayo recipe to pour over your chicken kebab.
Takeaway Chicken Kebab Recipe
- 4 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Thighs or 3 breasts
- 250 g Fat free Greek Yogurt or full fat if preferred
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- Salt & Black Pepper
- 2 Pitta Bread
- ½ Lettuce thinly sliced
- ½ Red or White Cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 Red or white Onion thinly sliced
- ½ cucumber sliced
- 1 Carrot Julienne cut or grated.
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- squeeze lemon
Marinade Chicken (this can be done night/morning before or straight away)
- Mix yogurt, olive oil, cinnamon, turmeric, ground coriander, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt & black pepper together in a large pot.
- Add whole boneless, skinless chicken thighs and stir to cover them in yogurt.
- Use 2 kebab skewers to thread the marinated thighs onto, fold the thinner parts over to keep them all at the same thickness.
- Preheat grill to a low heat, place chicken under the grill, turn over after 12 minutes, then cook the other side for 12 more minutes. Check it is cooked through.
Tefal Optigrill Method
- Turn the Optigrill on, keep shut, select chicken mode and allow the plates to warm up. It will beep when ready.
- Place kebabs on lower plate and shut the top plate down. Now leave it to cook all the way to dark orange or red. It will automatically measure the thickness and cook at the right temperature. No need to check on or turn!
Kebab extras- whilst they cook you can prepare the extras
- Make a salad out of thinly sliced lettuce, cabbage (white or red or both), cucumber & onions. Use a julienne cutter or a grater to finely cut the carrot. Drizzle with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.
- Follow our Kebab Shop Chilli Sauce recipe for a spicy kick to your recipe!
- Make a Garlic Mayo - Simply mix 4 tbsp of mayonnaise with 2 crushed garlic cloves and a squeeze of lemon.
- Once the chicken is cooked place pitta bread under the grill for a couple of minutes
- Use a sharp knife to cut down the chicken skewers.
- Slice open pitta and place layers of salad, sauce, and chicken
You could serve up with rice and salad instead of pitta bread if you wish.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe, don't forget to check our other recipes.
Why not try out our Honey Garlic Chicken Wings.
If you prefer a lamb kebab check out our Takeaway Lamb Shish Kebab