This honey garlic chicken wings recipe will bring the best Asian flavour to your dinner table. Easy to prepare, chicken wings cut, coated and oven-baked.
We show you how to make a homemade chicken wing marinade glaze is made from, honey, garlic, ginger, chilli and soy sauce. Added during the final cooking time to cook sweet, spicy and sticky chicken wings.
Drizzle or dip the spicy sauce over the sticky chicken wings to serve as a Chinese starter or side dish, a lunchtime treat with a salad, or serve with rice for dinner.
How to make Honey Garlic Chicken Wings?
Check out our quick video below to see how easy it is to make your own honey garlic chicken wings at home in less than 30 minutes!
You will find a printable list of all the ingredients you need to make your own marinade and step by step recipe card to make these sticky chicken wings below.Jump to Recipe
How to cut chicken wings in half?
When you buy a pack of chicken wings they will be whole, you can cook them whole, but we like to chop them in half.
Find the part where the wingette (flat) and drumette meets, and chop straight through the cartilage with a sharp knife or kitchen scissors.
How to oven cook chicken wings?
The best way to create nice and crispy chicken wings is to dry them by patting with a kitchen paper towel. Toss them with flour salt & pepper in a large bowl to coat them before baking.
Place them on a baking sheet or tray lined with parchment paper. Make sure they are spaced out for even cooking and to stop them from sticking together.
How long to oven cook chicken wings?
Preheat the oven temperature to 210°C fan / 230°C / 450°F/ Gas mark 8. Give them a few sprays of oil. Then add the baking sheet of chicken wings chopped into drumettes and wingettes and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
There is no need to turn halfway as we are going to coat them with a homemade marinade and cook for another 8 minutes to crisp up more.
How to make a sticky marinade for chicken wings?
Our honey garlic marinade is the best addition to give the chicken wings a spicy sweet Asian flavouring.
It is so easy to make, simply add garlic, chilli, ginger, honey and soy sauce into a saucepan over a medium heat. If you want to make them less or more spicy, adjust amount of chilli puree used.
We used garlic puree, chilli puree and ginger powder but you can substitute for fresh versions very finely chopped instead.
2 tsp of Garlic puree is equal to 4 garlic cloves crushed.
1 tsp of Chilli Puree is equal to 1 medium spiced red chilli pepper crushed
¼ teaspoon of ground ginger is equal to 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger.
Of course you can still make these using the fresh alternatives
What honey to use?
When adding honey in savoury recipes like these Chinese honey garlic chicken wings, it is best to use light coloured, clear runny honey.
Once all combined bring to a gentle boil, to turn the marinade into a thicker glaze like sauce, you need to add cornflour.
To prevent lumps from forming in the sauce, create a cornflour slurry with warm water stir until there are no lumps, then slowly stir into the marinade.
If using the sticky honey garlic sauce as a dip remove some now before coating the chicken in it.
Once finished cooking stir the cooked chicken wings in the saucepan you cooked the spicy honey garlic glaze until well coated.
Transfer back to the baking sheet to crisp off the chicken wings for about 8 minutes.
That's all there is to it! Perfectly cooked sweet, sticky, spicy glazed chicken wings.
If you saved some of the sauce its time to drizzle it over the top now, if it has become too thick, simply warm it back up to make it more fluid and adding water if needed?
Finally add some chopped spring onions and sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving.
Serve your honey garlic chicken wings straight up as it as for a Chinese starter or appetizer.
Make some extra sauce for dipping and serve with salad, coleslaw and crisps for lunch.
Or for dinner with any of the below side dishes.
- Jasmine Rice
- Rice Salad
- Spicy Potato Wedges
- Orzo Salad
- Mash Potato
- Onion Rings - check out this recipe by Hungry Healthy Happy
- Corn on Cob
- Garlic Bread
- Chunky Chips
Also, make a great sharing dish for when you have friends over for drinks and nibbles. Can be served hot or cold as buffet party food.
Can they be cooked on the BBQ?
These honey and garlic glazed chicken wings are fantastic on the BBQ. I would recommend baking them first, then add them to the barbecue with the glaze for few minutes to prevent them from burning.
Can I make them ahead?
These sticky chicken wings are easy to make ahead and can be eaten cold, or warmed back up when wanted.
How to reheat chicken wings?
Reheating previously oven cooked chicken wings is quick and easy in the microwave. Time will vary depending on how many you are reheating. Just heat until hot throughout.
Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
Chicken Wings - Oven Baked
- 1000 g Chicken wings (2.2 pounds) Chopped in half
- 4 tbsp Plain Flour
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Spray oil
Sticky Honey Garlic Marinade Ingredients
- 4 tbsp Honey Light coloured clear runny honey is best.
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Garlic Puree or 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Chilli Puree or 1 very finely chopped red chilli
- ¼ tsp Ground Ginger or 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- ½ tsp cornflour mix with 1 tbsp warm water
- 2 Spring onions sliced
- 1 tsp Sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 210°C fan / 230°C / 450°F/ Gas mark 8.Chop the chicken wings into wingettes and drumettes (see blog post for how to)
- Pat the wings dry with kitchen paper towel
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken wings, flour, salt and pepper.
- Place the flour-coated chicken on top of parchment paper, on a baking sheet or tray
- Spray with oil, cook in the oven for 20 mins until nice and crispy.Whilst the wings are cooking in the oven, make the marinade.
Homemade Marinade for Chicken Wings
- Add the soy sauce, garlic, chilli, ginger and honey to a saucepan.
- Stir together, bring to a gentle boil.
- Mix cornflour with warm water, stir, making sure there are no lumps. Add into the marinade and stir for one minute.
- Turn the heat off, the sauce should thicken more as it cools, if not add more cornflour (mix with water first to prevent lumps), until at your desired thickness. If you want you can remove some sauce now, to use as a drizzle when serving.
- Once the wings have had 20 mins in the oven, remove and place into the saucepan to fully glaze wings in the sauce.
- Place back on the lined baking tray and return to the oven for a further 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the cooked sticky chicken wings from the oven.
- Add chopped spring onions and sesame seeds and drizzle with the sauce you saved from earlier.
This post was originally published on 14/10/2019 and has been modified on 01/05/2021 with updated step by steps, new photos and video for creating the best sticky and sweet, spicy, honey garlic chicken wings recipe.
We hope you find the honey garlic chicken wings, finger-licking good! Leave us a comment or share your pictures with us on our social media channels.
If you wanted another Asian chicken wing recipe check out our Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings.