Zesty Italian Chicken Drumsticks are a delicious dinner recipe idea. Mess-free, lemon, garlic, olive oil and Italian seasoning marinade mixed together with chicken legs in a food bag.
Check out our step by step video and see the recipe card at the end of this page for full ingredients and recipes times.
What is the best cooking method for Chicken Drumsticks?
The ones in these pictures are oven-baked. Beautifully done and an oven is something that everyone has access to.
Try cooking them in an Air Fryer for quicker cooking & fantastic crispy skin. Or equally great in the Summer grilled on the Barbecue (BBQ grill) .
How to make an Italian marinade for Chicken Legs?
It is so easy and cheap to make your own chicken drumstick marinades. We give you a step by step guide to making this zesty Italian marinade.
A simple mix of the following 6 ingredients
- Lemon (juice & zest)
- Garlic (puree or crushed)
- Dark Brown Sugar
- Dried Italian Seasoning - shop-bought consisting of
(Oregano, Basil, Red Pepper flakes, Marjoram, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage and Parsley)
- Olive Oil
- White Wine Vinegar
We simply throw all the marinade ingredients into a large zip food bag. There is no order to do this in. Just chuck it all in bish-bash-bosh! You can do this in a bowl but we find this a quicker and cleaner method!
Seal the bag and use your hand to rub the ingredients together.
Next, add your Chicken Drumsticks, seal the bag and rub & twist the Chicken Legs into the marinade.
How long to marinate Chicken Legs?
For best results let the chicken drumsticks sit in the marinade in the fridge between 30 minutes to 2 hours. If you don't want to wait, you can cook straight away without leaving it to marinate, it will still be tender and delicious!
As this marinade has lemon and vinegar in it, any longer than 2 hours will negatively affect the texture of the chicken meat.
Place directly into a baking tray, no need to oil or place foil down, the marinade will prevent them from sticking!
How long to cook chicken drumsticks in the oven?
Cook in a preheated 400°F / 200°C (fan) oven for 30 minutes turning halfway through to cook evenly
How to check if chicken drumsticks are cooked?
30 minutes at fan 200°C/ 400°F should give you perfectly cooked Chicken Drumsticks. If your chicken drumsticks are particularly large, you may want to check them by placing a thermometer into the centre of the fleshy part of a drumstick. It should measure at least 165 F / 75 C.
Chicken Leg still pinkish?
Sometimes chicken meat can look pink, especially near the bone. This causes worry that the Chicken's not cooked? However, this is not the case, it is normal for chicken meat to sometimes have a pink or brown tinge. As long as the temperature reaches 165 F /75 C your chicken will be safe to eat!
Add some fresh basil after they are cooked, to add some extra flavour & colour.
Seen above, served on a bed of refreshingly wholesome Italian styled Mozzarella salad.
Another great recipe to serve these Zesty Italian Chicken Drumsticks up with is this Italian Style Rice Salad, perfect for a BBQ!
Zesty Italian Chicken Drumsticks
- 6 Chicken Drumsticks
- 6 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Gia Garlic Puree
- 2 teaspoon Italian Seasonig
- 1 teaspoon Dark Brown Sugar
- ½ Lemon Juice
- 1 Lemon zest
- small handful Fresh Basil chopped
Oven Cook Method
- Place all marinade ingredients in a zip bag or sandwich bag, seal & use your fingers to push all the ingredients togeteher
- Add the chicken drumsticks into the bag, mix together with the marinade, cook straight away or leave to marinade in the fridge for up to 2 hours.
- Place the marinated chicken drumsticks on a tbaking tray and cook in the oven for 30 mins 200°C / 400°F turn halfway through
- Add some fresh basil to serve
Air Fryer Method
- Follow Oven Method step 1-2
- Preheat Air Fryer to 200 °C. Place Chicken drumstick in a single layer inside Airfryer for 25 minutes (turning halfway)
- Follow Oven Method step 1-2
- Place on preheated BBQ at medium - low heat. Cook for 30-35 minutes turning every 5 minutes.
Before you go!! If you want to see more recipe ideas? Don't forget to sign up to receive an email every-time we post a new recipe!? Sign up form is on the Sidebar under the photo of us!