A super dinner recipe for cheese lovers, Parmesan Chicken Mozzarella is an easy recipe made using chicken breasts stuffed with grated mozzarella. Coated with breadcrumbs, fried until crispy.
Topped with parmesan and baked in the oven on top of a homemade garlic, basil and tomato sauce.
Perfect served with pasta, sauteed potatoes, chips and salad.
What is Parmesan Chicken?
Originally an Italian recipe, of breaded chicken breast, and baked in tomato sauce with mozzarella and/or parmesan.
It is now served worldwide and also known as Chicken Parmigiana, Chicken Parm/ Parma / Parmy/ Parmi or Chicken Mozzarella.
A great recipe for any cheese lovers out there! Give this Mozzarella Chicken Parmesean a go.
Check out our video below, for easy step by step guide of creating this dish. The printable recipe card is also at the bottom of this page.
Our recipe is the same as the traditional Parmesan Chicken but we like to stuff our chicken breasts with mozzarella and sprinkle with parmesan on top.
Keeping it crispy on top with melted cheese inside which helps keep the chicken perfectly juicy inside.
How to stuff chicken breasts with mozzarella?
Mozzarella stuffed chicken breast are so easy to make, simply slice the breast in half and add a handful of grated mozzarella (or slices of buffalo mozzarella if prefered).
To make crispy breaded chicken at home, you will need to dip the mozzarella stuffed chicken breast into flour, egg, and finally breadcrumbs.
You can use white, golden or panko breadcrumbs or a mixture of them?
We used a mix of both panko and golden breadcrumbs.
Now gently shallow fry both sides of the chicken in oil, you only want to crisp off the breadcrumb layer, the chicken will finish cooking in the oven.
Meanwhile make an easy homemade tomato sauce using passata, tomato puree; we used tomato and garlic puree, to add a small kick of garlic.
Add fresh basil (if substituting for dried basil, use ½ as much), then stir until well mixed.
Add the crispy fried breaded chicken on top of the homemade tomato sauce.
Sprinkle the parmesan, all over the top. You can also add mozzarella on top too if you like it extra cheesy. Cover with foil, to prevent the parmesan from burning.
Cooking chicken parmesan
Cook parmesan chicken in a preheated oven at 200°C/ 180°C fan / 400°F/ Gas mark 6.
Cooking time may differ if you have small/ large chicken breasts. Ours were large so we cooked them for 30 minutes. If you have smaller chicken breasts 20-25 minutes may be enough.
If in doubt, use a thermometer to check. The internal temperature of a chicken breast should reach 74°C / 165°F.
The melted mozzarella in the middle is to die for! I bet your mouth is watering from the above melted cheese shots!
What to serve with mozzerella chicken parmigana?
We like ours served with spaghetti. Alternatively serve up with any sides, Salad, Pasta, Potatoes, Couscous, Rice, Chips, Sweet Potato fries, Vegetables.
Enjoyed by all the family. If you wanted to spice things up you could also add some chilli to the sauce.
Variations of oven baked crispy chicken in tomato sauce
We have also tried this recipe out with ham added into the middle with the mozzarella, which works nicely.
If you like a stronger cheese, try using a mature cheddar or blue cheese instead.
Parmesan Chicken Mozzarella
- 4 Chicken breasts
- 150 g (1 cup)Grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoon Plain flour
- 2 Eggs whisked
- 100 g (1 cup) Breadcrumbs any will do, we used a mixture of Panko and Golden
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 300 g (1 ½ cup) Passata
- 4 tablespoon Tomato and Garlic puree we used Gia brand
- 3 tablespoon Chopped Basil (fresh) If using dried basil only 2 tsp
- 2 tablespoon Grated Parmesan
- Salt & Black Pepper
Serve with Salad/ Spaghetti/ Sautéed Potatoes/ Chips
- 1 bag Salad
- Spaghetti or other pasta
- Sautéed Potatoes
- Preheat Oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan / 400°F/ Gas mark 6. Slice the chicken breasts in half length-ways to create a flap (do not cut all the way through)
- Fill with a handful of mozzarella, fold the top of chicken breast back over the top
- Dip the stuffed chicken breast in the following bowls, in turn.1.bowl of flour2.bowl of egg3.bowl of breadcrumbs
- Fry the breaded chicken breasts in oil for 3 minutes on each side. (Remember, this is to crisp up the coating not to cook the chicken)
- In a oven dish, pour in passata, tomato & garlic puree, basil, salt and pepper. Stir together.
- Add breaded chicken breasts on top of the sauce, sprinkle with Parmesan
- Cover with foil, cook for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Serve chicken on top of spaghetti scooping up the tomato sauce to pour remaining sauce on top of the chicken, add one last sprinkle of Parmesan.
- Or serve with sauteed potatoes and salad.
This post was originally published on 29/12/2019 and has been modified on 02/02/2021 with updated step by steps, a new video and tips for creating the best Parmesan Chicken stuffed with Mozzarella.
We originally created this recipe as a sponsored video post for Gia Puree's in the summer.
I can assure you if it wasn't a great product we wouldn't feature it on our blog. They do a great range of Puree's please do spare some time to check them out. Available to buy from most UK supermarkets.
We used their Gia Tomato & Garlic Puree, for this Parmesean Chicken Mozzarella recipe. A lovely rich tomato puree with a hint of garlic works perfectly for this dish.