How to cook a simple, but flavoursome one-pot baked seafood dinner, Haddock and Clams in Garlic and Wine Sauce.
The sauce is perfection, with its rich garlic and chilli flavour, tangy wine and fragrant herbs. Serve with garlic flatbread or dough balls for an extra something special - you will be dipping them into the sauce for sure!
See our step-by-step slide show on how we made our haddock and clams in garlic and wine sauce.
What to cook Haddock and Clams in Garlic and Wine Sauce in?
Ideally, use a lidded cast iron, hob to oven pan like this one. There is no fuss and less washing up. Every step is cooked in the cast iron pan and even served up to the table in it!
However, if you do not own one, start cooking in a normal pan. When it's time to transfer it to the oven, place it in a lidded casserole dish. Or use foil to create a tight seal around the oven dish to steam the clams.
We used haddock; however, any white fish, such as Cod, Tilapia, Halibut, Flounder or Sole, will work just as well in this recipe.
The first step is to pan-fry the seasoned fish briefly — use enough oil in the pan, or the fish will stick! We are not completely cooking the fish at this point. Just searing it for 1 ½ minutes on both sides. Remove from pan until later.
How spicy is Haddock and Clams in Garlic and Wine Sauce?
Make it as spicy as you like?! We used four bird eyes chillies to make it extra spicy, but you can use less. We also sprinkled some extra chilli flakes on top, once again adjust spices to your liking.
Pan-fry the pancetta (you can use bacon lardons or cut-up bacon rashers instead) with garlic and shallots. Fry for 3 minutes before adding lemon zest, chilli, chives, mushed-up anchovy, wine & Asparagus. Cook for 2 minutes before adding fish (or chicken/vegetable) stock.
Return the haddock back to the pan, and scatter the clams around the haddock. Place the lid on (or cover tightly with foil) and bake in a preheated oven for about 10 minutes.
Should I use Fresh or Frozen Clams?
For best results, use fresh clams. When using fresh clams, soak in cold salted water for at least 20 minutes (overnight in the fridge is preferable) before cooking. It is not always possible to find fresh clams, in which case, use frozen clams; make sure to defrost them first.
How to cook frozen Clams?
If using frozen clams for this recipe, defrost them in the fridge overnight. Rinse under water before cooking.
How long does it take to oven bake haddock and clams in the oven?
Cook in a preheated 180 C fan 350 F oven inside a lidded pan. After 10 minutes, check to see if the clams have opened. If not, give it a couple more minutes.
Once the clams have opened, you're ready to take the cast iron pan to the table. Serve straight from the pan.
What should I serve with Haddock & Clams?
Serve with fresh cooked homemade bread, perfect for dipping in the fabulous white wine & garlic sauce! Or you can serve it up with rice to make it go further with a bigger family? Or try serving it with some roasted baby potatoes and vegetables like corn on the cob air fried, air fryer carrots and parsnips?
The spicy flavoursome sauce created is so moreish you will keep dipping bread in for more!
📖 Step by Step Recipe
Haddock and Clams in Garlic and Wine Sauce
- salt & pepper
- 540 grams Haddock 2 large fillets or 4 small fillets
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small Shallots chopped
- 70 g (⅓ cup) Pancetta or Bacon Lardons
- 4 Garlic cloves finely sliced
- handful chives chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets mashed up with a fork or use puree
- 1-4 chillies you decide how many you like? we used 4 bird eye deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 Lemon Zest and a couple of slices for top during cooking
- 60 ml (¼ cup) white wine
- 200 grams (Small bundle) Asparagus
- 150 ml (⅔ cup) fish stock
- 30 Clams rinse well under cold water
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Season haddock with salt & pepper540 grams Haddock, salt & pepper
- Heat oil in pan, add fish, skin side down. fry For 1 ½ minutes before flipping, cooking for other side for 1 ½ minutes. Remove from pan onto a plate, set aside for later. (The fish will continue cooking later in the oven)3 tablespoon olive oil, 540 grams Haddock
- Add shallots, pancetta and garlic to the pan, fry for 2 minutes.2 small Shallots, 70 g (⅓ cup) Pancetta or Bacon Lardons, 4 Garlic cloves
- Next add asparagus, chives, chilli, anchovies, lemon zest and wine, stir & simmer for 2 minutes, add fish stock bring to boil then turn heat off.handful chives, 3 anchovy fillets, 1-4 chillies you decide how many you like?, 1 Lemon Zest, 60 ml (¼ cup) white wine, 200 grams (Small bundle) Asparagus, 150 ml (⅔ cup) fish stock
- Return Haddock back to pan placing in a single layer on top of the sauce and asparagus.540 grams Haddock
- Scatter the washed clams around the fish cover with a lid (or cover tightly with foil) and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.30 Clams
- Check to see if clams have opened, if not cook for further 2-5 minutes.Enjoy!!
Updated on 21/04/2023 with more spicy recipe ideas and serving suggestions to go with clams and haddock in white wine sauce.
Perfectly cooked Haddock!