How to cook a simple, but flavoursome one-pot baked seafood dinner, Haddock and Clams in Garlic and Wine Sauce.
See our step by step slide show on how we made our Haddock and Clams in Garlic and Wine Sauce, full ingredients and instructions are on the recipe card below.
What to cook Haddock and Clams in Garlic and Wine Sauce in?
Ideally use lidded cast iron, hob to oven pan like this one. There is no fuss and less washing up. Every step is cooked in the cast iron pan and even served up to table in it!
However, if you do not own one start cooking in a normal pan. When its time to transfer to the oven place in a lidded casserole dish. Or use foil to create a tight seal around the oven dish to be able to steam the clams.
We used Haddock however any white fish such as Cod, Tilapia, Halibut, Flounder or Sole, will work just as well in this recipe.
The first step is to briefly pan-fry the seasoned fish — make sure to use enough oil in the pan or the fish will stick! We are not completely cooking the fish at this point, just searing it for 1 1/2 minute both sides. Remove from pan until later.
How spicy is Haddock and Clams in Garlic and Wine Sauce?
Make it as spicy as you like?! We used 4 bird eyes chillies to make it spicy, but you can use less. We also sprinkled some extra chilli flakes on top, once again adjust to your liking?
Pan-fry the pancetta (you can use bacon lardons or cut up bacon rashers instead) with garlic and shallots. Fry for 3 minutes before adding lemon zest, chilli, chives, mushed up anchovy, wine & Asparagus. Cook for 2 minutes before adding fish (or chicken/vegetable) stock.
Return the haddock back to the pan, scatter the clams around the haddock. Place the lid on (or cover tightly with foil) bake in a preheated oven for about 10 minutes.
Should I use Fresh or Frozen Clams?
For best results use fresh clams. When using fresh clams soak in cold salted water for at least 20 minutes (overnight in the fridge is preferable) before cooking. It is not always possible to find fresh clams, in which case use frozen clams, just make sure to defrost them first.
How to cook frozen Clams?
If using frozen clams for this recipe make sure you defrost them in the fridge overnight. Rinse under water before cooking.
How long does it take to oven bake haddock and clams in the oven?
Cook in a preheated 180 C fan 350 F oven inside a lidded pan. After 10 minutes, check to see if the clams have opened? If not give it a couple more minutes.
Once the clams have opened, you’re ready to take the cast iron pan to the table. Serve straight from the pan.
What should I serve with Haddock & Clams?
Serve up with fresh bread, perfect for dipping in the fabulous white wine & garlic sauce! Or you can serve up with rice to make it go further with a bigger family? Or try serving with some roasted/sauteed potatoes and fresh vegetables?
The spicy flavoursome sauce created is so moreish, you will keep dipping bread in for more!
Haddock and Clams in Garlic and Wine Sauce
- salt & pepper
- 540 grams Haddock 2 large fillets or 4 small fillets
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small Shallots chopped
- 70 g (1/3 cup) Pancetta or Bacon Lardons
- 4 Garlic cloves finely sliced
- handful chives chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets mashed up with a fork or use puree
- 1-4 chillies you decide how many you like? we used 4 bird eye deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 Lemon Zest and a couple of slices for top during cooking
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) white wine
- 200 grams (Small bundle) Asparagus
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) fish stock
- 30 Clams rinse well under cold water
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Season haddock with salt & pepper
- Heat oil in pan, add fish, skin side down. fry For 1 ½ minutes before flipping, cooking for other side for 1 ½ minutes. Remove from pan onto a plate, set aside for later. (The fish will continue cooking later in the oven)
- Add shallots, pancetta and garlic to the pan, fry for 2 minutes.
- Next add asparagus, chives, chilli, anchovies, lemon zest and wine, stir & simmer for 2 minutes, add fish stock bring to boil then turn heat off.
- Return Haddock back to pan placing in a single layer on top of the sauce and asparagus.
- Scatter the washed clams around the fish cover with a lid (or cover tightly with foil) and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Check to see if clams have opened, if not cook for further 2-5 minutes.Enjoy!!
Perfectly cooked Haddock! If you enjoyed this fish dish, why not check out our other creations?! Like our Spicy Fish Soup.