Honey and Garlic Prawn Poke Bowl, served up with not only rice, but also radish, pickled carrot, spring onions, and cucumber, makes a delicious feel-good meal.
We based this on the traditional Hawaiian Poke (pronounced Po-kay) Bowl, which is served with raw tuna. However, we made it using prawns instead.
How to make Honey and Garlic Prawn Poke Bowl.
It is a very quick easy meal to make and ready in minutes!
Before anything else, get your rice cooking, you can follow our Jasmine Sticky Rice recipe or use any other type of rice you like
See our step by step slide show below on how we made our poke bowl recipe.
What to put in a Poke Bowl?
You can really mix and match what you like best? Choose about 4-5 of your favourite from the following. Pickled carrot, pickled cabbage, radish, cucumber, lettuce, spring onions, avocado, bean sprouts, red onion, chilli peppers, edamame beans or sugar snap peas?
Making Pickled Carrot
Cut carrot into thin strips, we used a julienne peeler, equally, you could use a normal peeler for thin strips? Place in a bowl in addition to rice vinegar, ½ a lime juice & zest and a pinch of sugar.
Honey and Garlic Sauce
Next, we will get the sauce for the prawns ready. Pour fish stock into a large non-stick pan, add brown sugar, honey, garlic, and soy sauce. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Prepare your cucumber, radish and spring onions in this time.
After 5 minutes, add cornstarch to a tiny bit of water and mix together to make it easier to stir into the sauce without lumps.
Cook on simmer for a further 5 minutes stirring regularly. Now add the pre-cooked prawns into the sauce with some spring onions, stir and heat through.
Time to put it all together now! Put Rice in the bottom of a wide bowl. Layer your selected salad/veg, which in my case was radish, carrot, cucumber, and spring onions on top of the rice.
Add the prawns and sauce, then sprinkle some sesame seeds on top. We also added some Nigella seeds (charnushka) too, but that is optional.
All done, now grab a fork and tuck in! There should be plenty of sauce to add to the rice if needed?
📖 Step by Step Recipe
Honey and Garlic Prawn Poke Bowl
- 350 grams Cooked Prawns
Honey and Garlic Sauce
- 450 ml Fish Stock
- 70 grams Brown sugar
- 80 grams Honey
- 60 ml Light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Gia Garlic Puree
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch mixed with water
- water we used a splash if required
- 2 Carrots shredded
- ½ Cucumber shredded
- 3 Spring onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon Rice vinegar
- ½ Lime juice
- ½ Lime zest
- Pinch Sugar
- Salt and Pepper To taste
380g Rice- we used our Jasmine Rice Recipe
- Cook your Jasmine Rice or any other type you prefer?
- Place the Shredded carrot in a bowl, add the rice vinegar, lime juice, lime zest, salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar and mix together and leave aside.2 Carrots, 1 tablespoon Rice vinegar, ½ Lime juice, ½ Lime zest, Salt and Pepper, Pinch Sugar
Honey and Garlic sauce
- Place the fish stock, brown sugar, honey, soy sauce and garlic in a pan over medium heat and bring to the boil while stirring together.Once it comes to a boil reduce the heat and keep on a simmer for 5 minutes450 ml Fish Stock, 70 grams Brown sugar, 80 grams Honey, 60 ml Light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon Gia Garlic Puree
- After the 5 minutes simmering, mix cornstarch with a little water (to make a thin paste) before adding into the pan, this prevents lumps. Stir cornstratch in and simmer for a further 5 minutes, stirring until thick.1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- Once the sauce is thick, place the prawns into the pan with chopped spring onions and stir together for 2 mins to warm up350 grams Cooked Prawns
- Now assemble the Poke Bowl, start with Rice, add your choice of vegetables/salad and finally the delicious honey and garlic prawns. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.½ Cucumber, 3 Spring onions
If you enjoyed this Honey and Garlic Prawn Poke Bowl, why not check out our sizzling spicy pork dish for some extra heat at the dinner table?