The best hot and spicy pork recipe, a quick and easy one-pot pork dish. Pork fillet or loin cut into medallions or strips and coated in egg and cornflour before frying.
With spring onions, vinegar and sugar for a sweet and sour taste and the help of Frank's Red Hot Sauce to make this spicy sauce for pork.
Ready in only 30 minutes, making it a super midweek dinner or instead of a Chinese takeaway! Serve this hot pork dish with Rice or Noodles sprinkled with sesame seeds.
We visited an amazing street-side restaurant on our travels around Vietnam that served up a spicy pork dish.
We tried our best to replicate what we ate in this recipe using ingredients available in the UK.
Using Frank's Hot Sauce helped us achieve the spicy taste, and the brown sugar is added to balance the acidity.
How to make a hot and spicy pork dish
Follow along the video to see how easy this homemade spicy pork recipe is to cook.
Jump down to the recipe card for the full list of ingredients and how to cook this easy pork and rice recipe.Jump to Recipe
What is pork fillet?
We use pork fillet otherwise known as tenderloin or pork steak in this recipe. A long thin cut of pork, that is easy to slice into small round 2cm thick medallions.
It is a lean cut that is very tender and works well for quick frying.
Alternatively, you can use diced pork loin or pork shoulder. To use pork chops, remove bone and fat, then cut chops into pork strips.
Pork is one of the cheapest meats and works perfectly for this recipe, you could of course replace this with another meat or poultry of your preference?
Before frying we coat the pork with cornstarch (or flour) and egg, cooking pork in this way helps to slow down the cooking, to keep it soft and tender on the inside.
The outer crust created on the pork medallions helps soaks up the spicy sauce perfectly when added back in to the spicy sauce for pork.
Coat pork medallions in cornflour and black pepper. Next dip into the whisked egg. Fry in olive oil for about 3-4 mins on each side.
Once you have finished frying off the pork, remove from the pan. The cooked pork will be added to the hot sauce later.
You will be left with a coating from the pork flour and egg stuck to the bottom. Don't worry, and most importantly… don’t throw it away!
As can be seen below, it comes off by using butter and vinegar with a wooden spatula to scrape it off.
This method is called deglazing and the resulting residue is used to flavour & thicken up the hot sauce for pork.
Add garlic and most of the spring onions, otherwise known as scallions or green onions. Saving some to add to the final dish.
Hot and spicy sauce for pork
The main ingredient we used to create a hot and spicy sauce for pork is Franks Red Hot Sauce, this popular sauce is made with a premium blend of cayenne peppers that add a kick of heat and a whole lot of flavour.
It is very spicy which is just what we want for this pork recipe, but also acidic. So to balance out the acidity from the franks original hot sauce add sweetness from brown sugar.
That's the hot sauce ready, time to add back the cooked pork fillets, to soak up the hot sauce.
Giving the pork an amazingly rich sticky sauce with a hot and spicy, sweet and sour taste.
Garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and some sliced spring onions.
📖 Step by Step Recipe
Hot and Spicy Pork
- 450 grams Pork fillet cut into 2cm medallions
- 30 grams Cornstarch can substitute with flour
- Black pepper for seasoning
- 2 Eggs whisked
- 3 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 tablespoon Rice wine vinegar
- 50 grams Butter unsalted
- 5 Spring onions chopped, save some for serving
- 1 tsp Garlic puree 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 148 ml Franks Red Hot Sauce also known as Franks original hot sauce
- 140 grams Brown sugar
- Sesame seeds to serve
- Place the pork medallions in a bowl, sprinkle with cornstarch and pepper, stir to cover pork fully.
- Dip the each pork disc in the whisked eggs
- Heat the olive oil in a wok/cast iron dish, placing the coated pork medallions in the pan and cook for 3-4 mins, until brown. Remove from pan and keep covered until step 6.
- Add vinegar and butter to deglaze the pan use a wooden spoon, scraping cornflour off the bottom of the pan for 1 min.
- Add the spring onions, garlic puree and franks red hot sauce stir for 3 mins.
- Stir in brown sugar, once dissolved add the pork back into the pan and cook for a further 3 mins to warm.
- Serve with rice or noodles, and sprinkle spring onions and sesame seed on top Enjoy!!!
SubstitutesA suitable substitute is either diced pork loin or shoulder with fat removed. Or simply cut pork chops into strips removing any fat or bones. Flour can be used instead of cornflour. Adapted from a Mel's Kitchen Recipe
This post was originally published on 11/11/2019 and has been modified on 03/06/2021 with updated pictures, new video and tips to make this spicy sauce for pork recipe using Franks Red Hot Original Sauce.
I hope you enjoyed this hot and spicy pork recipe using Franks red hot sauce as much as we do.