A big hit in our house, all stick a spoon in and share the delicious fish chowder straight from the bread bowl! Fish Chowder Bread Boat is my son’s favourite of all our recipes!
On the other hand, if you are not the sharing type? Either spoon out into separate bowls or instead of the large Tiger loaf buy a little cob/bun for each person?
The perfect comfort food, now the cold dark nights are coming in! Red Potatoes with the skin left on, in addition to sweetcorn gives the dish splashes of colour.
Fish Chowder Bread Boat – step by step pictures
What fish to use in Fish Chowder?
Fish Pie mix is perfect for this dish, already chopped & mixed. It worked out cheaper to buy, than separate packs of cod, salmon & haddock.
We also used a packet of seafood mix, which has prawns, squid rings and mussels already de-shelled and cooked. We find it easier to buy deshelled so no messing around. However, you can use raw and shelled seafood. Just remember to add into the chowder at the same time as the fish to ensure enough time to cook!
Cheat ingredients for Fish Chowder – Gia Puree
Great products, I highly recommend them. Taste just as good as fresh ingredients.
If you like a bit more of a kick to your fish chowder add more chilli. One of our kids is not a fan of spicy foods, therefore we kept it fairly mild, to be sure it would be enjoyed by all.
What bread to use for chowder?
We used a large tiger loaf, but any thick-crusted bread loaf or cob would do.
How to prepare bread for Chowder
Cut a big rectangle in the Bread making sure not to cut all the way through to the bottom.
As illustrated by the picture above, cut the rectangle into smaller 2-inch sections. Push your fingers in deep to gently pull each chunk out. Serve on the side for dipping into the fish chowder.
Fish Chowder Bread Boat
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) smoked pancetta chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tsp Gia garlic puree or 2 garlic clove
- 1 tsp Gia chilli puree or 1 red chilli minced
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 350 ml (1 ⅓cup) fish stock
- 50 ml (¼ cup) white wine
- 2 medium red potatoes (chopped) any potatoes will work
- 175 ml (¾ cup) full fat milk
- 1 tin sweetcorn drained
- 300 grams fish pie mix salmon,cod,smoked haddock cubes
- 350 grams (11oz) seafood mix prawns, mussels, squid rings
- 150 ml (⅔ cup) double cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tiger bread
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish, add the the pancetta, cook for 2 minutes.Add the onion, garlic and chilli and stir together for 5 mins until soft onions are soft. Add the wine and wait for it to start to evaporate.
- Add plain flour mix in, then keep on stirring while adding the Fish stock followed by potatoes,milk, bouquet garni, paprika, parsley and pepper to taste.
- Allow to simmer for 12 mins, meanwhile start to prepare your tiger bread boat by cutting an opening at the top making a big hole to pour the fish chowder inside (see picture for instruction).Don't forget to keep the cut out bit of the loaf for dipping into the chowder that's the best bit.
- Place the fish pie mix (salmon,cod and smoked haddock) to the dish and simmer for a further 7 mins until the fish is cooked throughout.
- Add the seafood selection, cream and sweetcorn, simmer for 3-5 mins until all heated.
- Remove the Bouquet garni from the dishPour the fish chowder inside your tiger bread boat with a garnish of parsley and pepper to taste
We hope you enjoy our Fish Chowder Bread Boat as much as we do? Check out our other recipes for more delicious dinner ideas. Succulent fish and shellfish served in a Tiger loaf