Anyone who has visited a Greggs Bakery would probably have seen, smelt & tasted their Cheese and Bacon Wraps?! Well, I have good news for you, YOU can make them easily at home! Give our Flawless Cheese and Bacon Turnovers recipe a go today, the perfect Breakfast, Lunch, Snack, or even served up with beans and chips for dinner!
My daughter is a fussy eater, but this is one of her favourites. So I asked her to take the reins and cook this for us this time, whilst I took photos of her making them! She is 11 years old and a keen cook (but only food she will eat!!)
How to make a Gregg’s Cheese & Bacon Wrap?
Check out our video with step by step guide on how to make these turnovers at home. See the recipe card for full ingredients and cooking times.
First, you will need to cook your bacon off in a pan until cooked to your preference. We only cooked ours lightly but if you like it crispy you can make it crispy!
Next, roll your ready-rolled puff pastry flat and cut into 6 equal(ish) squares. Place the pre-cooked bacon diagonally across the pastry, and add a generous handful of cheddar.
What Bacon and Cheese to use for turnovers?
You can use streaky bacon or back bacon, smoked or unsmoked? The choice is yours!
We used mild cheddar for the kids and a mature cheese for the adults to give a richer taste!
Now fold one corner over the cheese and then the other one over the top of that corner. Brush over all the exposed pastry with a beaten egg.
Lay onto a baking tray leaving enough space between them for the pastry to puff a little.
Cook in a preheated oven at 190°c for 15-20 minutes, remove when they are golden and flaky!
How to serve Cheese and Bacon Turnovers?
Best served straight from the Oven, whilst the cheese is still melted!
Any leftovers should be kept in the fridge you can have them cold or reheated in the microwave for about 1 minute.
This recipe makes 6 big turnovers, if you wanted you could make 8 or 12 smaller ones!
Flawless Cheese and Bacon Turnovers
- 6 Bacon Your choice of Streaky/Back Bacon and Smoked/Unsmoked
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry Ready Rolled
- 130 grams Cheddar Cheese Your choice of mild or mature
- 1 Egg Whisked
- Preheat the oven at 190°c , 375F
- Fry the bacon over a medium heat until cooked to your preference, place to one side.
- Roll out the ready rolled puff pastry, cut the pastry into 6 equal(ish) Squares
- Lay the Bacon across the pastry diagonally, top with a handful of cheese.
- Now fold one corner over the cheese and then the other one over the top of that corner.
- Coat any exposed pastry with the whisked egg, place them on a tray with a gap between to allow them to puff!
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden.
Our Flawless Cheese and Bacon Turnovers are the perfect treat for all occasions, everyone loves them!
Thank you to my daughter Zara for making this and showing you all how easy it is! She will be cooking for us more often, don’t forget to leave her some comments below to let her know how good the recipe is!
If you liked this check out this Sundried Tomato, Bacon & Mozarella Swirls recipe. Another great recipe using puff pastry!