How to make an easy apple strudel with puff pastry. A take on the traditional Austrian and German apfelstrudel, this super quick puff pastry dessert is packed full of apple, sultana's, cinnamon and sugar!
How to make Apple Strudel?
This puff pastry strudel is super easy to make. Check out the slideshow below.
Jump straight to the recipe card or read on for the history and more tips for creating this Apple Strudel with puff pastry.Jump to Recipe
Pastry for strudel
Apple strudel originates from Vienna, Austria and is now a popular pastry dessert throughout Europe. Traditionally German apfelstrudel is made using ultra-thin layers of stretched soft elastic dough. It is a difficult process that is best left to the professionals!
It is for this reason we have made this homemade apple strudel with puff pastry. Most supermarkets sell a block of puff pastry that is quick and easy to roll into the right size for a strudel.
The most well-known strudel filling is apple, cinnamon and sugar; we like to add sultanas or raisins.
Which apples to use?
We find the best apples for strudel are sweet and crisp varieties such as Pink Lady's, Jazz, Enterprise, Honeycrisp Golden Delicious or Gala.
There is also a layer of brown sugar and breadcrumbs on the puff pastry; if you want, you could add ground nuts too?
Cherry is our second best strudel filling.
How to roll?
The best easy way to roll an apple strudel is to place the apple filling on ⅓ in a long line, leaving a couple of inches on either side.
Use the parchment paper you rolled on to fold the puff pastry over the apple filling.
Then simply tuck in under the apple and roll the rest of the way like a long sausage shape.
How to seal puff pastry strudel edges?
Use a whisked egg to seal the strudel puff pastry edges. And also, coat all the top with egg wash for a fantastic glossy golden colour during baking.
Also, remember to score the top to allow some steam to escape! We sliced even size portions on top.
How long to cook strudel?
Apple Strudel with puff pastry will take 40 minutes to bake in a 200°C / 180°C fan / 400°F / Gas mark 6 oven. We recommend keeping an eye on the pastry at around 25 minutes.
Add a sheet of foil to prevent the top from burning and allow the apple and bottom pastry to continue cooking.
What to serve apple puff pastry strudel with?
Apple strudel is best served warm with a sprinkle of icing sugar, not straight from the oven, as it will burn the roof of your mouth!
This apple and puff pastry strudel is best served with custard or ice cream.
Apple strudel can be made ahead and stored in the fridge before baking. Or cooked ahead and reheated in the oven for 15 minutes.
Or microwave single potions until piping hot.
Can you freeze apple strudel?
You can freeze apple strudel before or after baking. Simply wrap in parchment paper and place in freezer bag for up to a month.
Defrost before cooking or reheating.
Apple Strudel with Puff Pastry
- 500 gram Puff Pastry Block
- 3 Apples peeled cored and diced
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp White Sugar Granulated or Caster
- 4 tbsp Sultanas
- 3 tbsp Breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp Light Brown Soft Sugar
- 1 Egg whisked
- Peel and chop apple into small cubes, place in a bowl.Preheat oven to 200°C / 180°C fan / 400°F / Gas mark 6
- Add white sugar and cinnamon to apple
- Add sultanas (optional) mix all together.
- In a seperate bowl mix breadcrumbs with light brown soft sugar.
- Roll out puff pastry into a large rectangle on top of baking parchement.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb and brown sugar mix on the pastry keeping 1 inch edge free all the way around.
- Put the apple mixture, in a long line covering ⅓ area on top of the breadcrumb and sugar mix.
- Fold the side closest to the apple mix over the top.
- Tuck the pastry over and under.
- Continue to roll into a long sausage shape.
- Coat the last inch of pastry with whisked egg then roll into the seam.
- Fold the edges up from the bottom, coat with egg and fold the top flap down to seal. Repeat on other side.
- Score the top of pastry with a knife. We cut equal-sized diagonal lines which helps when cutting portions later.
- Coat expose pastry with whisked egg
- Bake in preheated oven 200°C / 180°C fan / 400°F / Gas mark 6 for 25 minutes
- Cover with foil to prevent top from burning, continue to cook for additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.
- Slice & serve with ice cream or custard.
Or for another sweet treat try our Lemon Curd Cheesecake.
Please leave us a message below letting us know how you got on making our puff pastry apple strudel recipe?