Today, I am excited to share my delicious coconut pilau rice recipe.
This tasty and nutritious dish is sure to become a new family favourite.
Whether you are looking for a quick weeknight dinner or a hearty side dish for your next curry night.
We recently shared a delicious Basa Fish Curry with you, undoubtedly a huge hit.
We gave a sneak peek of our Coconut Pilau Rice in the picture. It is the ultimate side dish to so many meals.
What is Pilau rice?
Pilau rice in basic terms is rice cooked in stock with added herbs/spices and other ingredients, such as meats or vegetables.
In this example of pilau rice, we have added onion, turmeric, cumin, vegetable stock and curry leaves to basmati rice and the star ingredient is desiccated coconut.
Pilau is also similar to Pilaf rice.
See our step by step slide show on how we made our Coconut Pilau Rice, full ingredients and instructions are found on the card below.
Tumeric Health benefits?
Tumeric has many health benefits. It has anti-inflammatory properties, prevents cancers, treats arthritis, cystic fibrosis, Alzheimer's, helps control diabetes, and improves skin health.
It also promotes weight loss, improves digestion & boosts the immune system.
How to make Coconut Pilau?
So without further ado let me give you a step by step guide to making this Coconut Pilau rice.
Start by frying off a small onion with cumin and Tumeric in a deep lidded pan for 5 minutes.
The onion should be soft and well coloured from the Tumeric.
Next, add the rice and stir for 1 minute whilst it absorbs the yellow colour from the spices.
Next, add your coconut, curry leaves (you can use bay leaves instead) and add your stock.
Bring to the boil, stir, then turn down to the lowest heat setting, place lid on and simmer for 10 minutes.
Take off the heat (do not remove the lid) and leave to stand for 10 minutes or until ready to serve.
Finally, remove curry leaves & use a fork to fluff up the rice.
What makes rice yellow?
Tumeric gives a lovely yellow colour to rice! This is what the Indian restaurants use to give there rice a particularly vibrant glow.
Sprinkle with some more coconut and coriander leaves before serving.
We used Crazy Jacks Desiccated Coconut as it is unquestionably the best! Organic Coconut, with no Added Sulphites.
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian & Vegan friendly. They make a great selection of other Organic fruits, seeds, nuts & grains too.
What to serve pilau with?
📖 Step by Step Recipe
Coconut Pilau Rice
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 250 g Basmati Rice (1 ⅓ Cup)
- 1 Onion
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 480 ml Vegetable Stock (2 cup) (I used 2 oxo stock cubes)
- 2 Curry Leaves Or Bay Leaves
- 2 tablespoon Desiccated Coconut
- Salt (to taste)
- Fresh coriander leaves (optional) to serve
- In a deep lidded pan, heat 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil over medium heat. Add the finely chopped 1 Onion 1 teaspoon Turmeric, and ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until the onion becomes soft and takes on the vibrant color from the turmeric.
- Rinse the 250 g Basmati Rice (1 ⅓ Cup) with water to remove excess starch.
- Add the washed rice to the softened onion and stir for 1 minute until it absorbs the colour from the onion and spices.
- Stir in the 2 tablespoon Desiccated Coconut and 2 Curry Leaves.
- Pour in 480 ml Vegetable Stock (2 cup) . Season with a Salt (to taste). Stir the mixture and bring it to a boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Place the lid on the pan and let the rice simmer for 10 minutes.
- After the 10-minute simmer, remove the pan from the heat source. Keep the lid on and allow the rice to continue cooking in the steam undisturbed for an additional 10 minutes, or until you are ready to serve.
- Prior to serving, discard the curry leaves from the rice. Gently fluff the rice using a fork to ensure an even, light texture.
- Serve the flavorful Indian Coconut Pilau Rice with an optional sprinkle of extra shredded coconut and Fresh coriander leaves (optional). Enjoy!
How long can you keep leftover rice for?
Do not leave cooked rice out at room temperature for long periods. It should be refrigerated within 1 hour.
After cooling, keep it in an airtight container in the fridge to avoid it spoiling. It will last 3 days in the fridge.
How to reheat rice?
We reheat leftover rice in the microwave.
Place the desired amount in a bowl, add a splash of water, use a fork to separate grains and heat for 2 minutes per serving.
Stir and check it is piping hot throughout.
More Rice Recipes
Let us know in the comments what you serve with this coconut rice?