We recently shared a delicious Basa Fish Curry with you, which was undoubtedly a huge hit. In the Fish Curry picture, we gave a sneak peek of our favourite, Coconut Pilau Rice. It is the ultimate side dish to so many meals.
What is Pilau rice?
Pilau rice in basic terms is rice cooked in stock with added herbs/spices and other ingredients, such as meats or vegetables.
In this example of a pilau, we have added onion, turmeric, cumin, vegetable stock and curry leaves to basmati rice and the star ingredient is desiccated coconut. Pilau is also similar to Pilaf rice.
See our step by step slide show on how we made our Coconut Pilau Rice, full ingredients and instructions are found on the card below.
Tumeric Health benefits?
Tumeric has many health benefits. It has anti-inflammatory properties, prevents cancers, treats arthritis, cystic fibrosis, Alzheimer’s, helps control diabetes, improves skin health. Promotes weight loss, improves digestion & boosts the immune system.
How to make Coconut Pilau?
So without further ado let me give you a step by step guide to making this Coconut Pilau rice.
Start by frying off a small onion with cumin and Tumeric in a deep lidded pan for 5 minutes, onion should be soft and well coloured from the Tumeric.
Next, add the rice and stir for 1 minute whilst it absorbs the yellow colour from the spices.
Next, add your coconut, curry leaves (you can use bay leaves instead) and add your stock.
Bring to the boil, stir, then turn down to lowest heat setting, place lid on and simmer for 10 minutes.
Take off the heat (do not remove lid) leave to stand for 10 minutes or until ready to serve.
Finally, remove curry leaves & use a fork to fluff up the rice.
What makes rice yellow?
Tumeric gives a lovely yellow colour to rice! This is what the Indian restaurants use to give there rice a particularly vibrant glow.
Sprinkle with some more coconut and coriander leaves before serving.
We used Crazy Jacks Desiccated Coconut as it is unquestionably the best! Organic Coconut, with no Added Sulphites. Gluten Free, Vegetarian & Vegan friendly. They do a great selection of other Organic fruits, seeds, nuts & grains too.
What to serve pilau with?
Besides the Basa Fish Curry, here are a few of our recent dishes you can serve up with this rice.
Coconut Pilau Rice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 250 g (1 ⅓ Cup) Basmati Rice (optional but I find soaking rice in cold water for 20 mins, makes end result of rice more fluffy)
- 1 Onion
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 480 ml (2 cup) Vegetable stock (I used 2 stock cubes)
- 2 Curry Leaves Or Bay leaves
- 2 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
- Sprinkle of salt to taste
- coriander leaves (optional) to serve
- Fry off a small onion with Cumin and Tumeric in a deep lidded pan for 5 minutes. The onion should be soft and well coloured from the Tumeric.
- Next, add the rice and stir for 1 minute until it absorbs the colour from the onion and spices.
- Add your coconut, curry leaves and stock. Bring to the boil, stir, then turn down to lowest heat setting, place lid on and simmer 10 minutes. .
- Take off the heat (do not remove lid) leave to stand for 10 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Remove curry leaves and fluff it up with a fork.
- Serve with and an extra sprinkle of coconut and some fresh coriander (optional)
How long can you keep leftover rice for?
Do not leave cooked rice out at room temperature for long periods of time. After cooling, make sure to keep it in an airtight container in the fridge to avoid it spoiling. It will last 3 days in the fridge.
How to reheat rice?
We reheat out leftover rice in the microwave. Place the desired amount in a bowl, add a splash of water, use a fork to separate grains and heat for 2 minutes per serving. Stir and check it is piping hot throughout.