Looking for recipe ideas using Turkey mince? This low-fat turkey and rice stuffed aubergines (eggplants) make a great healthy meal. Stuffed with aubergine, tomato, herbs, rice & turkey mince.
If following slimming world, this is a syn free dinner. Perfect served up with a nice fresh salad.
How to make Turkey & Rice Stuffed Aubergine?
Partially roast Aubergines, scoop the inner flesh out, leaving the skin as a boat. Cook aubergine flesh with turkey, garlic, tinned tomato & herbs. Before adding cooked turmeric rice.
Then re-stuff the mixture into the shells and oven-bake to perfection.
See the step by step video slideshow above.
Then scroll to the bottom for the printable recipe card including measurements of ingredients.
You will also find lots of advice, tips & suggestions for this recipe in this blog post if you wanted to read it?
How to prepare Aubergine (eggplant) to be stuffed?
Simply pop the whole Aubergine into the oven at 200°C Fan (400F).
The key is not to roast it until it is fully cooked, as it will be too soft to hold the contents you stuff it with.
We find about 20 minutes just right, it will have softened the skin and outer layer of aubergine.
However, the inner aubergine will still be firm, ready to cut out & cooked further with the other ingredients.
Turkey mince substitute? Beef, lamb, chicken or pork mince.
We used Turkey mince as it is naturally low fat and great for slimming world recipes.
If you want to keep it low fat and syn free on slimming world you can substitute with chicken, beef, pork or lamb mince, but remember to check the packaging to make sure it is under 5% fat.
If you are not on a diet, use any mince you like.
How to make Turkey & Rice filling?
Spray pan with spray oil and cook turkey mince, use your spatula to break it down whilst cooking. When it has turned a paler colour, add garlic, aubergine, dried herbs, salt & pepper.
Finally add a tin of chopped tomatoes and sprinkle with a vegetable oxo cube.
Leave to simmer uncovered for 15 minutes whilst cooking the rice.
What rice to use for stuffed Aubergines?
We used basmati rice and added tumeric for health and colour, however you can use long grain rice if preferred?
This is a great recipe for using leftover rice from the night before. 300g (1 ¼ cup) of precooked rice is enough for this recipe.
If using brown or wild rice start cooking whilst roasting aubergine (eggplant) to allow extra time it needs to cook compared to white rice.
How to make yellow turmeric rice?
In a lidded saucepan, add 120-gram (1/2 cup) uncooked rice with 250 ml (1 cup) of cold water and ¼ tsp of turmeric. Bring to the boil, once boiling turn to simmer and place the lid on to cook for 8 minutes.
Add the rice into the mixture, season with salt & pepper stir through before spooning into the aubergine boats you prepared earlier.
Try and fill them up as much as possible, I normally have a little left over to eat whilst waiting for the final step!
Oven cook stuffed aubergine
Place in a shallow baking tray, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove foil for the final 10 minutes. (If you want you can add grated Mozzarella or Parmesan for the final 10 minutes in the oven)
Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh parsley or basil.
Great served up with a freshly prepared salad.
Can I make this meal in advance?
Of course, this is a great plan ahead meal, get it ready up to where you stuff the aubergine, then cover & store in the fridge until ready to cook.
When ready to cook, cover with foil and cook for 40 minutes. Remove foil for last 10 minutes (adding cheese if wanted).
Turkey and Rice Stuffed Aubergines
- 2 large Aubergines (Eggplant)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 250 g Turkey mince
- 2 tsp Dried Italian Herbs
- 400 g Tinned Chopped Tomato (14oz)
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube we used OXO
- salt & pepper
- 120 g rice (uncooked) (½ cup) 300g (1 ¼ cup) ( if weighing out rice that has already been cooked)
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- fresh parsely or basil
- Large Salad to serve with
- Sprinkle Mozzarella or Parmesean
- Preheat oven to 200°C Fan (400F). Place Aubergines whole into a Roasting tin and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and slice in half straight through the stalk. Use a small knife to gently cut out the inner aubergine leaving enough flesh near the skin to hold its shape (see picture)
- Keep the shells aside to refill later. Chop the remaining aubergine flesh into small chunks
- Cook and break down turkey mince with a spatula for a couple of minutes.
- Add garlic, chopped aubergine and dried herbs. Stir through.
- Add chopped tomatoes and crumble in a stock cube. Simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered. Meanwhile, if not using pre-cooked rice, cook your rice now (instructions at bottom).
- After 15 minutes simmering, add the cooked rice to the turkey and mix through. If adding cold pre-cooked rice allow extra time for it to warm through. Season with salt & pepper.
- Stuff the mixture inside each shell, allowing it to pile up!
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, removing foil for the final 10 minutes. (Optional, add grated mozzarella or parmesean for the final 10 minutes in the oven) Sprinkle some fresh herbs on top
- In a lidded sauce pan, add 120g rice with 250ml of cold water and ¼ tsp of turmeric. Bring to the boil, once boiling turn to simmer and place lid on to cook for 8 minutes.