This one-pot Low-fat Pork and Prawn Jambalaya is a healthier version, still packed with fantastic smoky flavours. I am a fan of the Slimming World Diet, I love that I can adapt my normal recipes to be low fat!
One of my favourite dinners is Jambalaya, however, Chorizo is not Slimming World Friendly! So I have changed this one up.
I have replaced the Chorizo with 5% Pork Mince with a generous 4tsp of Smoked Paprika, to give it a similar smoky taste. I found this idea from The Stone Soup website. It works amazingly!
See our step by step slide show on how we made our Jambalaya below.
How to make low-fat Jambalaya?
No need for oil a few sprays of spray oil (fry light) in a good non-stick pan, I used my old favourite Cast Iron Pan. Make sure you used one which has a lid!
Fry the Pork off with the Smoked Paprika for about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set to the side keeping the smoky paprika flavoured cooking fat in the pan. Fry of the Onions in the remaining liquid.
Next, add the remaining ingredients, Red & Orange Pepper, Garlic Puree, Chilli Puree, Chopped Tomatoes and mixed herbs, give it all a good stir.
Add rice and stock, bring to the boil and let simmer with lid on for 10 minutes.
When you remove the lid it will still have some liquid left in there and the rice will still have a bit of a bite. Don't worry it will finish cooking with the final ingredients added!
Add in the cooked pork mince and cooked prawns and some Salt & Pepper, keep stirring for about 5 minutes until the mince & prawns are warmed through and the rice has finished cooking. Should be about 5- 8 minutes.
Sprinkle over some Spring Onions and you are ready to eat! There is enough here to serve 6 with a side salad or 4 just as it is.
What ingredients can I add to Jambalaya?
You can add different ingredients for example; peas, sweetcorn, okra, green beans, celery, green pepper, kidney beans, ham or Chicken. The list is endless.
If using Raw Prawns make sure to cook them off before you start cooking the pork.
I served my Pork and Prawn Jambalaya up on a bed of Rocket. Yummy! If you are following the slimming world diet each portion is only ½ syn each! I save leftovers for lunch the next day, it is delicious cold too!
Pork And Prawn Jambalaya
- spray oil Frylight
- 500 Grams (1 lb) Pork mince 5% Fat
- 4 tsp Smoked Paprika (not Hot or sweet Paprika)
- 1 Red onion chopped
- 2 (Bell) Peppers we used 1 red & 1 Orange chopped
- 2 teaspoon Gia Garlic Puree or use 4 Cloves of Garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon Gia Chilli Puree Or 1 chopped chilli
- 200 grams (1 cup) Long grain rice
- 400 grams (14 oz) chopped tomatoes we used 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 450 ml (2 cups) chicken stock made with a 2 stock cubes
- 140 grams (5 oz) cooked prawns
- 2 tsp Mixed herbs Dried Oregano, Basil & Thyme
- 2 Spring onions chopped to serve on top
- Spray a lidded non-stick pan with spray oil. Brown of pork mince with 4 teaspoon of smoked paprika on medium heat for 5 mins
- Remove from the pan leaving the excess paprika flavoured cooking oil behind. Fry the onions off for a couple of minutes
- Add peppers, garlic puree, chilli puree, mixed herbs, chopped tomatoes, rice and stir all together.
- Add stock bring to the boil. Put a lid on and simmer for 10 mins.
- Remove the lid add back the pork and prawns, cook stirring for a further 5 mins until the Pork and Prawn have heated through and the rice has soaked up all the stock.Enjoy!!
We used Gia Garlic Puree & Gia Chilli Puree for this recipe we find them so useful to speed up dinner times no need to prep it all first just a quick squeeze and you are done! No messing around peeling and chopping garlic and Chilli up. Available to buy from most UK supermarkets.
Check out our other dinner ideas. Why not try making some Raspberry Overnight Oats for Breakfast if you are following the Slimming World Diet.