This quick and easy, one-pot mushroom rice recipe is a simple dish for those who love mushrooms and rice.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can create a flavorful and satisfying dish that will impress. The earthy flavour of the mushrooms pairs perfectly with the fluffy rice, used as a side dish or main dish that the whole family will enjoy. Plus, it's vegetarian-friendly!
Use the jump to buttons to get to what you need to know.
This mushroom rice is incredibly easy to make with simple ingredients. We go through each ingredient below and include suitable suggestions.Jump to Recipe Card for measurements and to get on with cooking mushroom rice now.
We like to use white rice like basmati rice. However, long-grain rice or jasmine rice works well too.
You can use brown rice to make mushroom rice if your family prefers, but remember to adjust the cooking times for brown rice as it takes longer to cook.
While we used pre-sliced white mushrooms in this recipe for convenience, you can use any fresh mushroom variety you prefer.
Whether it's chestnut mushrooms, button mushrooms, or cremini mushrooms, each type will bring its own unique flavour to the dish. So feel free to experiment and find the perfect fresh mushroom for your taste buds.
Diced onion is a fantastic addition adding so much flavour and texture to the dish. However, if you prefer a sweeter onion shallots are also an excellent alternative. Or spring onions (green onions) for a milder taste.
We opted for finely chopped fresh garlic, garlic paste or garlic powder can also be used. It's best to start with a smaller amount and adjust as needed to avoid overpowering the dish. And for those who don't enjoy garlic, feel free to leave it out altogether.
Olive oil is a great choice for this mushroom rice recipe as it adds a delicious flavor and cooks the rice perfectly.
However, if you don't have olive oil on hand or prefer to use a different type of oil, vegetable oil is also a good option. Or use butter to cook the mushrooms and onion in before you add the rice.
We used a vegetable stock pot in this recipe; use any type of vegetable broth or stock that you prefer. The choice of chicken stock, chicken broth or beef broth is entirely up to you. You can use water instead if you wanted to, but make sure you add additional seasonings.
Just keep in mind that using different broths or stocks may slightly alter the final flavour of the dish and some stocks can be saltier than others so adjust the final seasoning you add to suit. Feel free to experiment and find the perfect combination for your taste buds.
Herbs like fresh parsley add a delicious freshness to mushroom rice. It's important to add fresh herbs after cooking so that they don't lose their flavour or burn.
Dried herbs, on the other hand, can be added earlier in the cooking process as they take longer to release their flavours.
Adding salt and pepper to taste is always a great option if you prefer a little extra seasoning.
Other seasonings depend on what you are serving with the mushroom rice
Fresh coriander and turmeric are especially nice to make an Indian mushroom pilau rice to pair with curries like our pathia.
Another great seasoning to consider is Italian seasoning which typically includes a blend of herbs like basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary, perfect with our Italian chicken drumsticks
Making to serve with a Chinese meal, like our salt and pepper chicken wings. Try adding some soy sauce.
Or keep it simple and add butter to melt over the freshly cooked rice.
You'll need a large saucepan with a lid to make this delicious mushroom fried rice. This will allow you to cook the rice and mushrooms together until they are tender and flavorful. Oh and a wooden spoon to stir!
Let's get started with how to cook mushroom rice.Jump to the full printable recipe card or continue reading for a quick run through.
Rinse rice until the water runs clear, removing excess starch. Or soak the uncooked rice.
Add onions and fresh mushrooms to your large sauce pan with olive oil. Fry over medium heat until the mushrooms cooked and the onions go golden brown, and then add your garlic, stirring for two more minutes.
Add rice, and stir, allowing it to soak up any remaining oil.
Mix the stock pot with water and pour it into your large pot, with the rice and mushrooms. Bring it to the boil.
Once your liquid is boiling, stir and place the lid on the pan.
Turn heat down to the lowest setting, allowing your mushroom rice to cook for ten minutes.
After ten minutes, turn off the heat but don't remove the lid. Leave your mushroom rice to cook in its own steam for 15-20 minutes. During this time, the rice will absorb all the liquid.
Remember this is based on basmati rice, different kinds of cooking rice such as long grain rice or short grain rice can change the cooking time needed until excess liquid is soaked up.
Remove the lid and give your rice a quick stir to fluff it up. Add a sprinkle of fresh herbs and your delicious mushroom rice is now ready to serve!
Water to Rice Ratio
Our recipe is for 4 servings, if you need to cook for more or less people you need to work out the water-to-rice ratio for how many people you serve. Here is a table from our basmati rice recipe to help you calculate.
|How many people serve -|
generous size portion
|Rice in grams||Stock in millilitres|
Remember to adjust the amount of fresh mushrooms, onion and garlic you use to suit too.
Mushroom rice makes a versatile dish that pairs well with various proteins. Here are some serving suggestions to enjoy your mushroom rice with.
- Chicken bhuna: The spicy and flavorful chicken bhuna goes perfectly with the earthy flavours of mushroom rice. Serve the two dishes side by side with an Indian onion salad for a hearty and satisfying meal. Or try with our turkey curry instead
- Tuna burgers: Pair your mushroom rice with tuna burgers for a lighter option. The mild flavour of the tuna patties complements the savoury taste of the mushrooms and onions in the rice.
- Rump steak: If you want something more indulgent, serve your mushroom rice alongside a juicy rump steak. The comforting taste of the mushroom rice will balance out the rich umami of the steak.
Or serve with some air fryer cooked chicken. Let us know in the comments what great recipe you serve it with?
📖 Step by Step Recipe
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 250 g Mushrooms sliced
- 1 small Onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 400 g Basmati Rice or white long grain rice
- 1 Vegetable Stock Pot
- 625 ml Hot Water
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh Parsley
- Rinse rice until water runs clear to remove excess starch.Gently fry the mushrooms and onions in olive oil on medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Or until cooked to your taste.2 tablespoon Olive Oil, 250 g Mushrooms, 1 small Onion
- Add garlic and stir through for 2 minutes2 cloves garlic
- Add white rice, stir through to soak up any remaining oil.400 g Basmati Rice
- Mix the stock pot with the water and pour in with the mushrooms and rice.1 Vegetable Stock Pot, 625 ml Hot Water
- Bring the liquid to a boil. Once boiling, give a final stir, turn down to the lowest heat and place lid on to the pan.
- Cook for 10 minutes at the lowest setting. Keep the lid on the whole time; no need to stir.
- After 10 minutes, turn the heat off. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID. Leave your mushroom rice to cook in its own steam for 15-20 minutes.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork, adding extra seasoning to taste.Salt & Pepper
- Transfer to a serving dish. Add a sprinkle of parsley to garnish.Fresh Parsley
Stock to Rice Ratio
|How many people serve -
generous size portion
|Rice in grams||Stock in millilitres|
Leftover mushroom rice can be stored in the fridge inside an airtight container for up to 24 hours.
When reheating leftover mushroom rice, it's important to ensure that it is heated thoroughly to destroy any harmful bacteria.
Reheat rice in a microwave-safe dish, and cover it with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, stir and repeat until the rice is steaming hot throughout. It's important to note, rice can only be reheated once to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
More Rice Recipes
If you love rice, you'll be happy to know we have countless recipes on our site for you to try.
Let us know what extras you like to add when you make mushroom rice for dinner tonight?