No guilty feelings with these Loaded Vegan Sweet Potato Fries, not only are they low fat, but also vegan, vegetarian, diabetic-friendly and gluten-free.
But best of all, they are of course absolutely delicious!
What is Textured Vegetable Protein?
Textured vegetable protein is a great meat substitute for vegans and vegetarians alike. Also known as TVP or soy meat.
We used chunks for this recipe but TVP mince would also work well.
With virtually no fat, it absorbs flavours well during cooking. We highly recommend buying Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) from Buy Wholefoods Online fantastic quality and amazingly low prices.
The first step is to soak your TVP, we use Vegetable stock to rehydrate it, leave it to soak whilst you cut your Sweet Potato Fries
How to cook Sweet Potato Fries?
Peel Sweet Potatoes and cut into even-sized fries. The thinner you chop them the quicker they cook!
Sweet Potato Fries - Actifry method;
We find the best results for cooking Sweet Potato Fries is using a Tefal Actifry.
So quick and easy to use, pop the chopped fries into the acti-fryer spray over with Frylight and salt (we used garlic salt).
Cook for 20-30 minutes (depending on thickness). Easy Peasy!
Sweet Potato Fries - Oven Method;
Alternatively use an oven, and preheat to 200°C fan/ 220°C/ 425°F /Gas Mark 7.
Place parchment paper on a baking tray put the chopped fries on in an even layer, not touching each other so they cook evenly.
Spray with Frylight and sprinkle with garlic salt.
Cook in the oven for 30 -40 minutes, turning halfway through for even cooking.
Making the BBQ Textured Protein Chunks ready to add to Loaded Vegan Sweet Potato Fries
Add Shallots and red pepper into a pan, fry for about 5 minutes before adding the textured vegetable protein in, with some black pepper.
Add 200ml of Skinny Sauce Smokey BBQ, into the pan and warm through. Set aside until fries are ready.
We called in the help of Skinny Sauces Smokey BBQ sauce a fantastic product with a delicious smokey flavour.
Perfect for anyone, including people following a low-fat/low carb/low-calorie diet and a Vegan or Vegetarian diet.
Check out their site. They have loads of other fantastic products too!
Loaded Vegan Sweet Potato Fries assembly!
Now simply serve up the fries and pour the BBQ Textured Vegetable Protein on top.
Sprinkle over some spring onions and jalapenos if you like a bit of spice! We served it up to share!
But you can serve a portion each, which makes two generous portions!
Delicious you wouldn't believe it was low fat, low sugar, and low carb yet still full of protein! Tastes amazing!
Why not add a sprinkle of vegan parmesan if you are feeling naughty?
You can use normal BBQ sauce if you are not following a diet.
If you are not a Vegan/Vegetarian, feel free to use cooked chicken or steak instead of Textured Vegetable Protein.
📖 Step by Step Recipe
Loaded Vegan Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 Sweet Potatoes Sliced into even sized fries
- Garlic Salt or normal salt
- Fry light spray oil
TVP & Sauce ingredients
- 2 Shallots Finely chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 60 grams (1 cup) Textured Vegetable Protein rehydrated with Vegetable Stock
- 180 ml Vegetable Stock (if making gluten-free make sure to use GF stock cube)
- sprinkle Black Pepper to taste
- 200 ml BBQ Sauce We used Skinny BBQ Sauce
- 2 Spring Onions Chopped
- Jalapenos we used jarred pre-chopped Jalapenos
- Parmesan We used grated vegan parmesan
- Rehydrate the textured vegetable protein using vegetable stock leave to soak up whilst prepping the rest60 grams (1 cup) Textured Vegetable Protein, 180 ml Vegetable Stock
Sweet Potato Fries
- Chop fries into even-sized fries, the thinner the fries the quicker they cook! Air fryer methodPop the chopped fries into the air fryer spray over with Frylight and sprinkle with garlic salt. Cook for 20-30 minutes.Oven MethodPreheat to 200°C fan/ 220°C/ 425°F /Gas Mark 7.Place parchment paper on a baking tray and put the chopped fries on in an even layer, not touching each other so they cook evenly. Spray with Frylight and sprinkle with garlic salt. Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes, turning halfway through.2 Sweet Potatoes, Garlic Salt, Fry light spray oil
TVP & Sauce
- Add Shallots and red pepper into a pan, fry for about 5 minutes, before adding the textured vegetable protein in, with some black pepper.2 Shallots, 1 red pepper, sprinkle Black Pepper
- Add BBQ Sauce, into the pan and warm through. Set aside until fries are ready.200 ml BBQ Sauce
Serving up Loaded Vegan Sweet Potato Fries
- Serve up the fries and pile the TVP and sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with Spring Onions and Jalapenos. Why not add a sprinkle of Vegan Parmesan too!?2 Spring Onions, Jalapenos, Parmesan
I hope you enjoyed this Loaded Vegan Sweet Potato Fries recipe; why not check out our other Vegan Recipes.