This sundried tomato and roasted pepper pasta bake is a vegetarian and vegan friendly store cupboard recipe, that the whole family can enjoy.
So quick and easy to make with simple ingredients. Serve your family the best spicy Italian oven-baked pasta dish today. UK grams and ml and also US cup measurements are given.
How to make Roasted Pepper Pasta Bake?
We will take you every step of the way to creating this Vegan and Vegetarian friendly pasta dish.
You can jump straight to the recipe card to get started. Where you will find all the ingredients needed in UK & US measurements and a step by step guide.Jump to Recipe
To make a spicy sun-dried tomato base for the pasta sauce. Fry off onions, then add Gia sundried tomato puree, regular tomato puree, garlic puree, chilli puree. Add more chilli if you like it really spicy? Followed by 2 tins of chopped tomatoes.
Add plant-based milk to the homemade tomato pasta sauce. We used almond milk, if not making vegan friendly you can use normal milk instead.
Next, add spaghetti (feel free to use other pasta shapes). Then add water, bring the pasta to the boil in the sauce, turn to a simmer and add frozen spinach.
Cook for 15-20 minutes stirring regularly to prevent it from sticking to the sides, adding more water if needed?
Once the pasta has finished cooking transfer to a oven dish.
Cut Roasted Red Peppers in half (the ones already roasted from a jar). Layer on top of the spaghetti.
Sprinkle the vegan roasted red pepper pasta bake with nutritional yeast and vegan friendly breadcrumbs.
Sprinkle the vegetarian sundried tomato pasta bake with your choice of cheese and breadcrumbs.
Bake in the oven until golden on top.
The spaghetti soaks up the spicy sun-dried tomato sauce perfectly. The roasted red peppers add a delicious sweetness to the dish.
In this case, finished off by the crispy breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast (or cheese).
Great served with a side salad, there is enough here to serve 8 people.
How to store?
If you have leftovers of this pasta bake. They can be kept covered in the fridge for up to 3 days. Or transfer into individual size portions and freeze for up to 8 months.
How to reheat?
If frozen, defrost the individual portions of tomato and pepper pasta, overnight in the fridge.
Reheat from the fridge in the microwave until steaming hot throughout. Of course, timing will vary depending on your microwave and portion size!
Sundried Tomato and Roasted Pepper Pasta Bake
- Frylight Spray oil
- 2 small Onions
- 3 tbsp Gia Sundried Tomato Puree substitute with more regular Tomato puree
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tbsp Garlic Puree or 5 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1-2 tsp Chilli Puree (add more if you like it spicy) or 1-2 Chilli's chopped very fine.
- 2 tins Chopped Tomatoes
- 500 ml Unsweetened almond milk If not making vegan friendly can use milk
- 300 ml Water
- 500 g Spaghetti or any pasta shape would work
- 3 handfuls Spinach we use frozen
- 3 Roasted Red Peppers sliced in half we use jarred
- 1 tbsp Nutritional yeast or if not making vegan friendly, use cheese instead
- 1 tbsp fine breadcrumbs check vegan friendly
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan/220°C conventional /425°FIn a large pan, on medium heat, fry onions with the spray oil for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add sundried puree, garlic puree, chilli puree,tomato puree and tinned tomatoes stirring for 2-3 mins.
- Add spaghetti, almond milk, water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer, add frozen spinach and cook for 15-20 mins, make sure to stir regularly to prevent the pasta from sticking to the pan.Feel free to add more water during cooking time if needed?
- When the pasta is cooked, place all the contents into an ovenproof dish, place the peppers on top, sprinkle with the nutritional yeast (or cheese if not vegan) and breadcrumbs. Spray a few squirts of Frylight all over the top.
- Place in the preheated 200°C fan/220°C conventional /425°F oven for 10 minutes. Until browned on top. Serve straight from the oven.
This post was originally published on 11/10/2019 and has been modified on 10/03/2021. With updated step by steps, new pictures and tips for creating the best vegetarian or vegan-friendly sundried tomato and roasted pepper pasta bake!
If you love this sundried tomato pasta bake, and on the hunt for more vegan recipe ideas? For instance, check out our vegan kung pao.