The best winter root vegetable stew with quinoa, cooked in the pressure cooker. Hob cooking method is also given.
We show you how to cook quinoa in this low fat vegetable stew recipe. A quick easy low-calorie lunch or dinner, keep it simple and serve with bread and butter.
Suitable for Vegetarian's and omit the parmesan cheese to make a Vegan friendly version.
How to cook Quinoa Vegetable Stew?
Watch the recipe video to see how quick and easy this vegetable stew is to make in the pressure cooker.
Continue reading for more how to's and the step by step quinoa vegetable stew recipe card to create this healthy pressure cooker recipe at home.
What is Quinoa?
Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah) is made from the seeds of a herbaceous plant in South America. Naturally rich in protein, minerals, fibre, & B vitamins.
This low-fat plant-based grain is great for those following a low-calorie diet. Classed as a superfood, it contains more protein than any other grain.
Quinoa recipes help to fill you up faster, making it perfect recipe for slimming world, weight watchers or other low fat diets.
Add quinoa to stews to help thicken it up for a healthy lunch or dinner. So tasty and filling with no guilt, even if you overindulge!
What vegetables to use in a stew?
We love to use winter root vegetables, swede, parsnips and carrots, in this quinoa stew.
Feel free to experiment with different vegetables. Such as Sweet Potatoes, Courgettes, Aubergine, Celery, Shallots, Potatoes and Mushrooms.
We also add, peas, garlic and chilli for added flavour.
Stock and passata are added for the vegetables and quinoa to cook in, you can add more stock if you wanted a runny soup style stew.
Cooking Methods Pressure Cooker or Hob
We find it best to use a Pressure Cooker, such as this 6L Pressure King Pro Cooker (aka PKP) to cook this amazing Quinoa Vegetable Stew. The Instant pot is just as good!
Using a Pressure Cooker is so easy and a great time saver. Making meals that usually take a long time in minutes, check out our other pressure cooker recipes.
Of course, not everyone has a pressure cooker so we also tell you how to cook quinoa vegetable stew in a pan on the hob; it will just take a little longer.
If not on a low-fat diet, it is best to add a sprinkle of Parmesan when serving. Obviously, the parmesan is not Vegan friendly, you could use yeast flakes instead?
Serve your quinoa with fresh crusty bread and butter to soak up the flavoursome stew juice and wiping the bowl clean at the end!
📖 Step by Step Recipe
Quinoa Vegetable Stew
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Red onion diced
- 2 Carrots diced into small cubes
- 2 Parsnips diced into small cubes
- 100 grams Swede diced into small cubes
- 1½ teaspoon Gia Garlic puree 2 cloves crushed
- 1 teaspoon Gia Chilli puree or 1 chilli chopped finely
- 200 grams Peas frozen or fresh
- 500 grams Passata
- 400 ml Vegetable Stock made from 2 oxo cubes or 1 stock pot
- 200 grams Quinoa (1 cup) best to rinse first
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Parmesan Cheese grated to serve
- 1 Fresh Loaf of Bread
Pressure Cooker method
- With pressure cooker set to fry/saute mode. Add oil, and chopped onion, carrot, parsnip and swede.
- Fry for 5 minutes stirring until the vegetables have softened.
- Stir in garlic, chilli and frozen peas. Turn off fry/saute mode.
- Add passata and stock.
- Add thyme, bay leaves and quinoa.
- Season with salt and pepper and give one last stir.Lock the lid in place. Ensuring the valve is in the closed position.
- Set the pressure cooker to stew/high setting for 4 mins. Once complete, leave to natural release for 10 minutes. (Do not try to open earlier this is part of the cooking time)
- Open valve to release the final bit of steam and stir through and remove bay leaves.
- In a large pan fry onion, carrot, parsnip and swede for 5 minutes until softenedStil in peas, garlic and chilli.
- Add passata and stock.Bring to the boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add quinoa, thyme, bay leaves and salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for another 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking, add more stock if needed.
- Stir, remove the bay leavesServe with Parmesan & Crusty bread on the side.
This post was originally published on 04/11/2019, modified on 16/01/2021 with updated step-by-step pictures, new video and tips for creating the best Quinoa Vegetable Stew.