Looking for new slimming world friendly dinner ideas using minced beef and vegetables? We show you how to make this easy Curried Mince Hotpot recipe.
A curry flavoured mince, onion carrot and parsnip base, topped with layers of sliced sweet potatoes and a sprinkle of coriander. The perfect low syn and low-fat one-pot meal.
How to make Curried Mince Hotpot?
Check out the below step by step video for how to make Curried Mince Hotpot.
Continue reading for more information on making this delicious slimming world friendly recipe.
Or jump straight to the recipe card to get on with it!Jump to Recipe
Recipe ideas with Mince?
Have a pack of mince in the fridge or freezer looking for recipe ideas, but bored of the delicious but repetitive Spaghetti Bolognese or Chilli con Carne?
This Curried Mince Hotpot will be sure to spice up your dinner table.
What is the best mince to use for Curried Mince Hotpot?
Well this is a trick question, it depends on what diet you are following!
The best beef mince, for taste, would of course be 15-20% fat content. The extra fat content stops the mince from drying out and has a great moist texture.
So, if you are not making this Curried Mince Hotpot low-fat, then go ahead and use a higher content mince beef.
What mince should I use for slimming world?
If you are following a low-fat diet or Slimming World diet, then you will be restricted, to using 5% fat mince beef.
5% mince is a syn free option, if you use a higher fat content mince will need to work out the syn it will add.
What oil to use on low-fat diet?
When following a low-fat diet use Frylight spray oil instead of olive oil. It is a great product to brown off the onions and mince with.
What to cook a hotpot in?
We use our favourite cast iron pan for cooking our curried mince hotpot in! Best purchase ever. If you haven't got one I highly recommend treating yourself to one! We use it pretty much every day!
Can be used on the hob and oven so no need to transfer to another dish. It is also so easy to clean, just soak for 5 minutes and you don't even need to scrub!
Making Curried Mince for hotpot?
So, the first step is to make the curried mince base.
Simply brown off onions, then add mince break the mince down with a wooden spoon.
Next, add garam masala, followed by garlic and chilli.
Add curry leaves, and stir through.
Add parsnips and carrots, stir through with mince which should have browned off by now.
Next, add stock (we use oxo stock cubes) and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
Gia Garlic and Chilli puree's cheat ingredients
You may have spotted we used Gia purees for our garlic and chilli, there are two reasons!
1. Because the puree's are so easy and taste just like the real alternative without the fuss!
2. As we created this recipe for Gia!
You can of course use fresh chilli peppers and garlic if you prefer!
Once the curried mince has simmered for 10 minutes, remove curry leaves, add peas and season with salt & pepper to your liking.
If the mixture seems a bit dry add more stock at this point.
When using a hob to oven pot you can do next step in the same pot.
If not now is the time to transfer the curried mince into a casserole dish.
What potatoes to use for curried mince hotpot?
We use sweet potatoes, however, this hotpot recipe will also work just as well with normal potatoes if you prefer them?
Should I parboil sliced potatoes for a hotpot?
It is best to parboil the sliced potatoes for a hotpot.
Cover with just enough water, bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Make sure you drain them immediately, because, if you overcook them they will go too soft and break!
How to layer hotpot potatoes?
It is time to top the spicy curried mince with the parboiled sweet potato slices.
Follow the shape of your casserole dish and slightly overlap each slice on top of the previous slice.until you have completely covered the mince layer.
Give a generous spray of fry light all over the top and season with salt and pepper.
How long to oven bake a Curried Mince Hotpot?
Place the prepared hotpot in the oven for 20 minutes.
Halfway through you can add more fry light and turn the oven up to brown off potato slices.
There you have it your Curried Mince Hotpot is ready to serve. We sprinkled ours with fresh coriander and more pepper ready to serve straight to the family.
The sweetness of the sweet Potatoes with the spiciness of the curried mince works especially well.
What to serve with Curried Mince Hotpot?
We served ours up with a simple side salad of lettuce, cucumber, and tomato.
In addition to a generous dollop of Mint Ratita which I made with fat-free yoghurt, 2 teaspoon of mint sauce and 2 teaspoon of sweetener to keep it slimming world friendly.
Of course, you can serve as it is, simply make it a larger portion. Or with a side of more vegetables?
Or try with our Garlic Mayo Sauce (make sure you use low fat ingredients if following slimming world)
I hope you enjoyed this as much as we did! We will be making it more often for sure!
📖 Step by Step Recipe
Curried Mince Hotpot
- 500 Grams (1 lb) lean mince Use 5% for slimming world or low fat diet
- Spray oil Frylight
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Gia Garlic Puree or 5 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Gia Chilli Puree or 1-2 chilli peppers thinly sliced
- 4 tsp Garam Masala or curry powder
- 3 curry leaves or 2 bay leaves
- 2 Carrots Chopped
- 2 Parsnips Chopped
- 300 ml (1 cup) Beef stock I made with 2 oxo cubes
- 100 Grams (½ cup) Peas frozen
- 2 Large Sweet Potato Thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Chopped fresh Coriander
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan / 400°F.Sauté onions for 5 mins, add mince breaking it down with a wooden spoon.Spray oil, 1 onion, 500 Grams (1 lb) lean mince
- Next, add garam masala, curry leaves, garlic & chilli, carrots and parsnips. Stir together until mince is browned.1 tablespoon Gia Garlic Puree, 1 teaspoon Gia Chilli Puree, 4 teaspoon Garam Masala, 3 curry leaves, 2 Carrots, 2 Parsnips
- Add stock, season with salt and pepper and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.300 ml (1 cup) Beef stock, Salt & Pepper
- Whilst mince is simmering, place sliced potatoes in a saucepan filled with enough water to cover. Bring to boil, then simmer for 5 minutes, drain immediately (do not overcook or they will break.)2 Large Sweet Potato
- Remove curry leaves, stir in the peas and season with salt & pepper.100 Grams (½ cup) Peas
- If using a hob to oven dish layer potato straight on top. Or transfer to a casserole dish before layering potatoes on.
- Spray a generous amount of spray oil over the potatoes. Place on the top shelf of oven for 20 minutes. After 10 minutes, add some more spray oil.Spray oil
- Serve scattered with coriander, salt & pepper. Enjoy!1 tablespoon Chopped fresh Coriander, Salt & Pepper
Slightly off topic....but
Just wanted to update with some good news!
We are now number 11 on the UK Food Bloggers and Websites To Follow in 2020 on Feedspot. Such a great achievement, so proud of ourselves!
More Mince Recipes
Trying to add some variety to your repertoire of minced beef recipes? Look no further than our fabulous collection!
Whether you're looking for something simple and weeknight-friendly or something a little more special, we've got you covered.