A quick and easy midweek meal idea. This one-pot spicy meatball pasta recipe will be cooked and ready to serve to the family in only 30 minutes.
We show you how to make your own homemade hot Italian tomato pasta sauce. With garlic, chilli and herbs added to give a nice hot kick to spice up your beef meatballs. Can be made with spaghetti or any other pasta shapes.
To make your own Italian style spicy meatball sauce with pasta you will need. Meatballs, chorizo, onion, garlic, chilli, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, herbs and spaghetti.
Meatballs- You can use shop brought beef meatballs or make your own up? Or substitute for turkey, chicken or pork meatballs instead. Or why not use vegetarian meatballs instead?
Chorizo - Adds a great flavour to the homemade tomato meatball sauce, can use bacon lardons instead. Or if trying to lower fat content in the dish. Leave this out and add some smoked paprika instead to still give a delicious smoky taste.
Vinegar - Balsamic, sherry or red wine vinegar, will all work well to bring a pleasant tang to the homemade tomato sauce.
Garlic, Chilli and Sundried Tomato Puree - We used the Gia brand of puree to cheat and make the tomato pasta sauce for the meatballs even quicker for a midweek dish. Whilst still packed full of Italian flavouring.
You can of course use fresh garlic and chilies and regular tomato puree instead.
Herbs - We used dried Italian mixed herbs for flavouring the spicy meatballs. It is a mixture of basil, oregano, rosemary, marjoram and thyme. You can use fresh or frozen instead.
Pasta - You can use any pasta shape for this recipe. We have used spaghetti, tagliatelle, tripoline, rigatoni and penne in the past. They all work well.
We use 2 tsp of chilli puree which is equal to 2 chillies. This adds a lovely warm spice not too hot!
Simply add more or less chilli to adjust the spiciness of the dish!
Why not add chilli flakes when served up at the end. To give more of a kick for some and not the others?
Use any large lidded pan for this dish.
We use our cast iron dish to create all our one-pot recipes. We highly recommend them as they are great to cook with and also easy to clean and will last you a lifetime!!
Serve straight to the table in the pan. Top with a generous helping of parmesan cheese and a handful of parsley.
It is a meal on its own. But if you want it to stretch to more people simply add garlic bread. Or check out The Devil wears Salad for some great salad recipes.
Also as it is all cooked in one pan. You don't have too much washing up to do at the end! Bonus!
This spicy meatball pasta is a regular one-pot dinner for our family. So quick and easy, perfect for midweek. If you wanted another one-pot meal idea, check out our Pork and Prawn Jambalaya.
How to store?
If you have leftovers, meatball and pasta can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Infact I find the tomato sauce flavours soaks in to the pasta and tastes even better the next day!
Reheat in the microwave or oven until piping hot.
You can freeze for another day, in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Reheat from frozen in the oven or defrost first to reheat.
📖 Step by Step Recipe
One Pot Spicy Meatball Pasta
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 12 Meatballs we used ready-made from the supermarket but you can make own if preferred
- 1 Onion chopped finely
- 80 grams Chorizo cubed
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar or Red Wine Vinegar / Sherry Vinegar
- 2 tsp Gia Garlic puree or 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp Gia Sundried Tomato Puree or 2 tbsp regular Tomato Puree
- 1-2 tsp Gia Chilli Puree or 1-2 chillies finely chopped
- 400 grams Chopped Tomatoes tinned
- 500 ml water boiling
- 250 grams Spaghetti or Tagliatelle or any other pasta shape
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- black pepper & salt to taste
- parmesan cheese
- parsley chopped
- Warm olive oil over medium heat in a large pan, add meatballs and stir to brown on the outside, should ake about 5 minutes. (do not need to be cooked throughout)
- Add onion & chorizo, fry with meatballs for 3 mins
- Use Sherry Vinegar to deglaze the pan, scraping all the delicious meatball goodness off the bottom off the pan.
- Add chilli, garlic and tomato puree, mixed herbs, and stir together.
- Add chopped tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta into the sauce, pour boiling water over the pasta and bring to the boil. Give a stir and make sure no pasta is stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Turn down heat to simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 11 mins, stirring halfway through.
- Serve with a good sprinkle of parmesan, parsley, salt and black pepperEnjoy!!