Everyone loves a quick and easy dinner recipe. This one-pot Chorizo and Tomato Pappardelle Pasta is made using a homemade onion, garlic, chilli and tomato pasta sauce, with Chorizo & Spinach.
A simple midweek meal for two or double it up, and/or add garlic bread to serve more people!
Step by step video of our Chorizo and Tomato Pappardelle Pasta
Follow along our step by step video for how to make and see the recipe card for full details.
How to make homemade spicy tomato pasta sauce with chorizo?
We use onions, chilli, garlic, chopped tomatoes, herbs and vegetable stock and cook the pasta in with it.
Simply fry onions until soft, add sliced Chorizo. Then add garlic and desired amount of chilli.
How spicy to make this dish?
You can choose how spicy you like it? If you don’t like chilli you are welcome to leave it out.
We used 1 teaspoon of Gia Chilli Puree (for speed and we know exactly how much to use for the right heat) if using fresh chillies, I would recommend 1-2 medium spiced chillies or 1 hot chilli pepper. Try to chop it as small as possible.
Add Vegetable stock, tin of chopped tomatoes and mixed herbs next to make the sauce.
One-pot pasta recipe
What we love about this pasta recipe is that it is cooked in one pot, no need to pre-cook the pasta it goes straight in with the sauce to cook.
What is Pappardelle Pasta?
Pappardelle is a great pasta variety which has flat large ribbon noodles which originates from Tuscany. It works great to soak up the Chorizo and Tomato flavours in this recipe. Make sure to stir it around in the sauce whilst it cooks.
Other pasta varieties that can be used for chorizo & tomato sauce?
You can use other varieties of ribbon pasta. Such as linguine, tagliatelle, spaghetti, fettuccine, bucatini. You could also use other pasta shapes…… the list is endless!
Finally, once the pasta has soaked up most of the sauce. Add spinach and Parmesan to the pan, stir through.
Frozen or fresh spinach?
We use frozen spinach for this recipe as it is a handy freezer essential and still contains the nutrients needed. Defrost it first, then squeeze any excess liquid out.
How to remove excess liquid from frozen spinach?
The most common way is to squeeze using your hands. I find it easier placing in a ziplock food bag to defrost, then snip a tiny bit off the bottom 2 corners and squeeze the bag to remove the water through the holes!
Using fresh Spinach instead of Frozen?
Yes, use 150 grams of fresh spinach instead if desired.
What to serve with Chorizo and Tomato Pappardelle Pasta?
Ready to eat as it is with a sprinkle of Parmesan, will be a very filling meal for two! No sides needed!
If you want to serve it between more people simply serve with Garlic bread and/or a side salad.
Chorizo and Tomato Pappardelle Pasta
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion finely diced
- 60 gram Sliced Chorizo cut from a chorizo ring or precut
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed or 1 tsp of garlic puree
- 1 tsp Chilli Puree Or 1 crushed chilli pepper
- 390 grams Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 550 ml Vegetable Stock (we used 1 cube)
- Salt & Pepper
- 250 grams Pappardelle Pasta can be substituted with other pasta shapes
- 100 grams Frozen Spinach We used frozen, defrosted first then squeezed the excess water out. 150g of Fresh Spinach can be used instead
- 2 tbsp Dried/Fresh Mixed Herbs 1 tbsp using fresh herbs
Mix of any of the following herbs. Basil, Marjoram, Oregano, Rosemary, Sage,Thyme
- 45 g Parmesan Cheese grated (plus extra for serving!)
- Heat olive oil in a large deep pan or cast iron pot at a medium heat. Add onion and fry for 5 minutes
- Add chorizo and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and chilli and stir for 1 more minute
- Add Vegetable Stock, chopped tomatoes, herbs, salt, pepper and pappardelle pasta, bring to the boil.
- Reduce to simmer for 15 minutes, use a spatula to gently stir pasta to make sure it cooks evenly.
- Add spinach and parmesan, stir through for about 5 minutes
- Serve up with black pepper and extra parmesan grated on top!
We have plenty of other pasta recipes to choose from, once you have tried this Chorizo and Tomato Pappardelle Pasta why not take a look at other options on here, for example, One-pot Spicy Meatball Pasta!