This beef stir-fry with noodles recipe is a simple, quick and easy Chinese dish to make at home, ready in minutes. Thinly sliced steak or beef stir fry strips, cooked with garlic, chilli, honey and soy, homemade stir fry sauce.
Add cooked egg noodles and stir-fried vegetables to the steak stir fry. With optional extras such as chilli peppers, herbs and sesame seeds for a great spicy beef noodle dish.
How to make beef stir-fry with noodles?
Check out the quick step by step video for how to make this easy beef noodle recipe today.
Best beef for stir-fry?
For the best slices of beef in a stir fry, we like to use sirloin steak. Simply trim away the thick layer of fat, and slice it into thin strips.
The same can be done with ribeye, rump, skirt or fillet steak for UK beef cuts. The equivalent US beef cuts would be top sirloin, tenderloin, flank, ribeye or top loin.
For quicker preparation, you can buy a pack of ready sliced lean beef stir-fry strips from most supermarkets.
How to make a homemade stir-fry sauce?
Making a stirfry sauce at home is so simple, mix freshly chopped garlic and chilli together with water, honey, soy, cornstarch, sesame oil and ground black pepper.
The cornstarch helps to thicken the stirfry sauce during cooking.
Alternatively, a shop-bought stirfry sauce can be used.
We used baby corn, mangetout and orange pepper in this beef stir-fry recipe. Cook the vegetables in oil and add a splash of water, to help them steam slightly.
Feel free to experiment with other vegetables such as cabbage, carrot, broccoli, snap peas, pak choi, onion, mushrooms, asparagus, bean sprouts, or water chestnuts.
You can also pick up a bag of ready prepared stir-fried vegetables to save time chopping!
How to cook egg noodles for a stir-fry?
Cooking egg noodles ready to be added to a stir-fry couldn't be easier! Place the dried nests of egg noodles into a large bowl and fill with freshly boiled water until submerged.
Use tongs to stir occasionally and drain water away when cooked. A pack of dried medium egg noodles usually take 7 minutes or fine egg noodles will take about 5 minutes.
It is best to time the cooking of the noodles to be ready and added straight away after draining. Which for this beef stir-fry is whilst the steak is cooking.
How to stop chinese egg noodles sticking together?
If the noodles are ready before needed, drain and rinse the noodles in cool water to stop the cooking process.
To prevent the noodles from sticking together, add back to the bowl with a few drops of oil ( any oil can be used) use tongs to mix the cooked egg noodles together with oil.
Alternatively, you can buy a pack of pre-cooked straight to wok noodles for this beef stir-fry recipe.
What order to add ingredients to beef noodle stir-fry?
Prepare all your stir-fry ingredients first, when you get cooking it is a quick process so you need to have everything chopped and ready to go.
Chop your steak and vegetables and prepare the homemade stir-fry sauce.
Add the stir-fry ingredients in the following order
- Cook the vegetables then remove them from the pan.
- Cook the beef strips in the pan and the noodles in a bowl at the same time.
- Add the stirfry sauce allowing time for the sauce to thicken.
- Add the cooked noodles and stirfried vegetables back to the pan and mix well.
We find it best to use tongs to mix a stirfry without breaking the noodles. Keep on heat until warmed throughout.
What can I put on top of beef stir fry?
We like to add sesame seeds, a handful of chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) and a freshly chopped chilli.
You can use other fresh or dried herbs or vegetables, such as basil or spring onions or sprinkle with dried seaweed or chilli flakes.
Try switching the sesame seeds for peanuts or cashews.
Finally, give an extra bit of sweetness with a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce.
What to serve with Beef Stir-fry?
This Beef stir fry with noodles is a meal in its self! If you want to add extras, you can serve with some mini spring rolls, prawn crackers and sweet chilli sauce.
We hope you enjoy this beef stir fry recipe with noodles.
Beef Stir-fry with Noodles
- 450 gram Sirloin Steak Can substitute for ribeye or fillet
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Orange Pepper (bell) sliced into strips
- Handful Babycorn cut in ½ lengthwise
- Handful Mangetout
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 250 grams Medium Egg Noodles
Homemade Stir-fry Sauce - Can use shop-bought instead.
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped finely
- 2 whole Red Chillies Deseeded and chopped finely. Use more or less for the desired spiciness
- 120 ml warm water (½ cup)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
Optional extras to serve
- Small Handful Fresh Coriander or Fresh Basil
- Red Chillies or Chilli Flakes
- ½ teaspoon Sesame seeds
- Drizzle Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Trim excess fat from the steak.450 gram Sirloin Steak
- Cut steak into thin strips.
- Season with Black Pepper & Salt1 teaspoon Black Pepper, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Mix together all the ingredients for the homemade stir-fry sauce in a jug, keep aside for later.2 cloves Garlic, 2 whole Red Chillies, 120 ml warm water (½ cup), 1 tablespoon honey, 6 tablespoon Soy Sauce, 1 tablespoon Cornstarch, ½ teaspoon Black Pepper, 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- Put noodles into a deep bowl and pour boiling water over the top until submerged.250 grams Medium Egg Noodles
- Heat sesame oil in a wok or large pan. Add vegetables.1 Orange Pepper (bell), Handful Babycorn, Handful Mangetout, 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- Add a splash of water, stir-fry for 5 minutes. Remove vegetables from the pan.
- In the same pan, add beef steak strips, fry for 2 minutes. Add more oil if needed
- Add the stir-fry sauce, bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.If using store-bought sauce, just warm through for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain noodles and rinse with cold water to prevent them from sticking together.
- Add noodles a bit at a time and stir into beef and sauce. It is easier to use tongs.
- Return stir-fried vegetables to the pan.
- Turn heat up to max, mix until warmed through.Optional: Add extra chillies/chilli flakes, coriander/basil and sesame seeds to serve. Can be drizzled with sweet chilli sauce for extra sweetness.Small Handful Fresh Coriander or Fresh Basil, Red Chillies or Chilli Flakes, ½ teaspoon Sesame seeds, Drizzle Sweet Chilli Sauce
Thank you for using our beef stir-fry with noodles recipe, please leave us a comment to let us and others know how you got on and any extras you like to add to your beef stir-fry?
Or if you love noodles, try our Spicy Asian Noodles.