Want perfect crispy & crunchy oven-roasted potatoes for your British Sunday Roast Dinner? Our easy to follow recipe shows you how to make Flawless Roast Potatoes in the oven.
Goose Fat and couscous is our secret combination to give you the best English Roasties which are crispy on the outside, whilst still creamy & soft inside.
Simply add your choice of garlic, herb or chilli for flavour.
Trust us it beats all other recipes you will find.
See our step by step slide show on how we make our Flawless Roast Potatoes, you will find the full ingredients and instructions on the card below.
What baking tray should I use for Roast Potatoes?
It is best to use is a large deep walled baking tray.
If your tray isn't big enough use 2 trays, do not overcrowd the trays whilst roasting.
They will fail to brown all over and take longer to cook!
What are the Best Potatoes for Roasties?
- King Edwards (crispy outside and fluffy inside)
- Maris Piper (light and fluffy centre)
- Baby Potatoes (No chopping needed!)
- Desiree (hold shape well but not so crispy)
- White Potatoes (cheap and cheerful!)
Firstly, start off with a baking tray filled with 6 Tbsp of goose fat.
Place this in the oven at 220°C/440°F whilst you peel, chop and parboil the potatoes.
Don't miss out this step, it is an important part of getting flawless crispy roast potatoes!
When parboiling your potatoes, start with cold water enough to cover potatoes.
Allow water to come up to boiling before setting a timer for 4 minutes.
Drain the potatoes using a large colander, a metal one is best.
Give them a good shake in a colander to rough up the edges.
We do this in 3 batches to make sure there is room to batter them without them flying out of colander!
For each batch add 1 Tbsp of Cous Cous give another shake to cover outside of potatoes.
Can I freeze Roasted Potatoes?
This recipe serves 6 people, so if not all are needed, or you wanted to make ahead? The potatoes can be frozen for another day.
There are 2 different methods for freezing roast potatoes.
How to freeze Parboiled Potatoes:
After Couscous is added place the parboiled Potatoes in the freezer on a plate/tray. Once frozen bung them all in a freezer bag (this prevents them from sticking together).
Ready to be added to hot goose fat and cooked when you need them straight from the freezer. They may need an extra 10 minutes of cooking.
How to freeze pre-cooked potatoes:
My favourite way, I find this makes them even crispier as they are being cooked twice!!
Finish off cooking to the final step.
Leave to cool before placing them in a freezer on a plate/tray, once frozen bung them all in a freezer bag (this prevents them from sticking together).
All you need to do is reheat them for 25-30 minutes straight from the freezer on the day.
No need to defrost beforehand.
Roast potatoes will store for 3 months in the freezer.
It is a great idea to make and freeze ahead ready for Christmas day so you have less preparation time and more time with the family!
What herbs go best with Roast Potatoes?
So many choices of herbs to go with your roast potatoes.
Try any of the following or a combination of them. Dried or fresh herbs work equally well.
Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Sage, Garlic, Chilli Flakes, Salt & Pepper
We switch this up depending on what we are eating them with.
The below picture, we mixed 2 tsp of Garlic Puree in with the hot goose fat to make them especially garlicky perfect served with oven-baked Sea Bream with Garlic and Chilli.
Whatever you choose also add a generous amount of Black Pepper and a sprinkle of Salt too!
Time to remove the baking tray from oven.
Obviously, the oil will be dangerously hot when you add the potatoes and your chosen herbs.
Make sure you are covered up with oven gloves/apron in case it splashes you.
Use a long-handled spoon to toss the Potatoes around until fully coated with goose fat.
Another top tip, do not overcrowd the baking tray with Potatoes.
They should all be touching the base of the tray not on top of each other. If you have too many Potatoes use two baking trays.
How long to oven cook Roast Potatoes?
Place on the top shelf of the oven at 220°C/440°F for about 45-50 minutes.
There shouldn't be any need for turning halfway. Although it is a good idea to baste them with more goose fat from the tray.
Simply use a spoon to scoop up the goose fat and pour over each potato.
What to serve with Roast Potatoes?
Flawless Roast Potatoes
- 1.5 Kg (3lb) Potatoes King Edward or Maris Piper is our favourite variety
- 6 tbsp (½ cup) Goose Fat
- 3 tbsp Couscous
- Salt & Pepper
Your choice of herbs Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Sage. (Optional)
Garlic, Chilli Flakes or Parmesean (Optional)
- Put 6 tbsp of Goose Fat in a Deep Baking Tray. ( I use recommend using 2 trays, so 3 tbsp in each tray)Place in the oven at 220°C to get scorching hot, whilst you prep the Potatoes.
- Peel & Chop Potatoes into 2-3 inch pieces. Place in a large pan and fill with just enough cold water to cover the top of Potatoes.
- Bring the water to boil, then start timer for 4 minutes.
- Use a colander to drain the potatoes.Give the potatoes a good shake against the sides of the colander, so the outside of the potato gets roughed up. (you may have to do this in 2-3 smaller batches)
- Sprinkle with couscous, a generous amount of pepper and a sprinkle of salt. Give a final shake/ mix around.
- Using oven gloves, remove the tray of goose fat from the oven. Watch out it will be scolding HOT!Add any Herbs/Garlic/Chilli you wish into the oil and stir it all in.Use a long-handled spoon to carefully place the Potatoes in hot goose fat. Carefully turn to coat all the potatoes with the Goose Fat.Try to spread Potatoes apart so they are not all touching each other. It is best to use 2 trays?Place in the oven at 220°C/440°F for about 40 minutes, you may want to turn halfway or use a spoon to scoop and pour the fat over the potatoes again to stop them drying?
- Check at 40 minutes to see how they are going.If browning too much, you can add a sheet of foil on top towards the end of cooking. If not browning enough turn up to 230°C/460°F for last 10 minutes.Serve with your favourite meat or fish
There is also information about how to freeze them on there.
Hope you enjoy our crispy Flawless Roast Potatoes, let us know how you find them.
Of course, we give you permission to share the secrets with others. Just make sure you link back to us though!