Guessing you were tempted over to our page from the delicious picture of our Dark Chocolate Truffles, the step by step guide to this simple sweet treat is below.
Before we continue I wanted to let you know we have also posted, step by steps for Milk Chocolate Truffles or White Chocolate Truffles!! Click through to whichever you prefer, they all differ in the amount of cream added.
We always make all of them, as none of us agrees on which is best! (Dark Chocolate is Luke’s favourite!!)
As can be seen below, we have included step by step pictures. Print out the recipe card at bottom of page.
Make sure you use good quality dark chocolate we use two blocks of Menier 70% Cocoa Swiss Dark Chocolate available from most supermarkets. Break the chocolate into tiny pieces, the smaller they are the quicker they will melt.
Pour hot cream mixed with butter on top. Place the bowl in a bigger bowl filled with boiling hot water to help it along, giving a good stir.
Once all melted and well mixed together, add 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla essence. Alternatively, if you are making these for adults you can add something a bit stronger than Vanilla Extract. Why not try 1 tablespoon of your favourite liquor instead.
Next, place the bowl uncovered in the fridge to set for 2 hrs.
Try not to finish off the bottle of liquor whilst you are waiting!
Use a teaspoon to scrape about 2 teaspoons worth of chocolate mixture into your hand. Now, roll it into a ball. It will be sticky but try not to spend too much time rolling or the chocolate will melt again!
Chocolate Truffle Topping Ideas
Now choose your toppings! There are so many options!! Cocoa Powder, nuts, sprinkles, coconut, dipped in chocolate, grated chocolate, chocolate strands, sugar strands, icing.
We keep a selection of these Dark Chocolate Truffles out on the sideboard over Christmas for people to help themselves to. As can be seen above, served in little tiny tins, on a two-tiered silver stand. And below on in mini paper cases on a silver decorative tray.
We make a selection of these Chocolate Truffles every Christmas. Make up for family and friends as gifts, the kids love to get involved too.
Homemade Chocolate Truffles make great gifts
As you can see above, they look great packaged up ready for Christmas Presents, in cellophane bags with pull ribbons.
In addition to these Dark Chocolate Truffle, go check out our other two truffle step by step guide for Milk Chocolate and White Chocolate. Let us know what you have used whilst making your own versions!
Dark Chocolate Truffles
- 200 g (7 oz) Dark Chocolate 70% cocoa
- 75 ml (⅓ cup) Double Cream (Heavy Cream)
- 1/2 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Toppings – There are so many options!! Cocoa Powder, nuts, sprinkles, coconut, dipped in chocolate, grated chocolate, chocolate strands, sugar strands, icing.
Why not switch the vanilla extract for 1 tbsp of your favourite liquor
- Put a heatproof bowl inside a larger bowl filled with boiling water. Break the Dark chocolate into small chunks (to help it melt quicker) Put into bowl stirring to help melt.
- Meanwhile warm butter and cream together in the microwave, do not allow it to boil. Start with 30 seconds stir and keep adding 10 seconds more until warmed through.
- Pour the hot cream on top of dark chocolate, giving a good stir until well combined and all melted, then add the vanilla extract stirring altogether before placing in the fridge
- Place in the bowl uncovered in the fridge for at least 2 hrs
- Use a teaspoon to scrape about 2 tsp of mixture into your hand, now roll it into a ball. It will be sticky, but try not to spend too much time rolling or they will melt!
- Now choose your toppings, roll ball in your topping and place in a paper or silver tray.
- Eat immediately or store in airtight container/bag in the fridge until needed! (Will keep for 2 weeks)
Lastly, please take a look at our other recipes on our website whilst you are here.
I have shared a few links to amazon below of what you may need for this recipe.
At last Delicious Dark Chocolate Truffles, you can make to your taste, perfection in one mouthful.