Looking for a sweet breakfast recipe idea for two on a special occasion? Try out our thick fluffy pancake stack to impress a loved one on valentines day, anniversary or birthday.
American style pancake mix made from scratch and pan-fried. The pancake batter has champagne, cava or prosecco to give them extra taste and glamour! You can switch this for lemonade if preferred, or when making them for the kids.
How to make a thick fluffy pancakes stack?
To make your own stack of thick fluffy pancakes, check out the quick video below
Read on below for all the how to make the best pancakes tips and more topping ideas for pancakes.
Or just jump straight to the recipe card.Jump to Recipe
The ingredients you need for thick American style pancakes are eggs, milk, olive oil, vanilla extract, lemon mixed together.
We use a hand mixer but a hand whisk or stand mixer will work just the same.
With the wet ingredients now blended together, move on to the the dry ingredients. Plain flour (all purpose), baking powder and sugar.
Pour the wet mix in with the dry mix, whilst whisking into a smooth, lump free, thick pancake batter.
To make these pancakes extra special we added some a Spanish sparkling wine, Cava Brut. You can use champagne, prosecco or any other sparkling wine instead, with the same effect.
Check out this great article by The Wine Company to help you understand sparkling wines!
Alternatively, replace with lemonade for a alcohol free version!
Simply fold the bubbles into the pancake mix with a spoon.
How to shape perfect round pancakes?
The secret to uniformed perfectly round thick pancakes is using egg rings! You can buy metal or silicone versions.
Don’t worry if you haven’t got any handy, a metal cookie cutter will work in the same way as seen below. Ours was 10cm wide and made 6 thick pancakes.
Spray the base of the pan and the sides of the ring, pour the pancake batter in and pan fry until the underneath and sides have firmed up.
You will see bubbles on the surface of the pancakes when they are nearly ready to flip.
It's important not to flip too early. You need to wait for them to be firm enough to keep their shape!
Make sure to use oven gloves when removing the ring, it gets very hot!!
Flip and cook on the other side, continue until they are all ready. If creating a pancake stack keep them warm in the oven at 50c.
When using a few egg rings at once you can cook a few at a time!
Once all cooked, stack the pancakes on top of each other. You decide how many to a stack?
We stacked all 6 on top of each other for a wow factor picture!
If serving pancakes for 2 people, they can be split into two stacks of three pancakes. Or for 3 people stacks of 2 pancakes!
What to serve with a stack of pancakes?
The options are endless for what to serve with your thick pancake stack. Here are some of our favourite pancake toppings;
Or treat yourself to the good old American style pancake topping of crispy bacon and maple syrup!
Or team the bubbly thick pancake stack with our homemade Raspberry Sauce with Champagne for a pleasurable sweet breakfast treat.
We originally made these in 2019 for Global Champagne Day. A day to enjoy some sparkling wine, sharing with friends, family & lovers! This year, Global Champagne Day falls on Friday, October 22nd, 2021.
A perfect sweet breakfast to celebrate birthdays, a unique Fathers or Mothers day brunch idea, or an impressive Christmas dessert recipe?
When serving stacked pancakes for a dessert, slice them like a cake instead of whole!
Don't forget to add some extra sauce, and cream always goes down well too!
Let us know in the comments or share pictures on any of our social media channels. Showing us your best pancake toppings and what was the special occasion recipe for?!
📖 Step by Step Recipe
Thick Fluffy Pancakes Stack
- 2 medium eggs
- 240 ml milk (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ lemon (juice only) squeeze juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 240 grams plain flour (all purpose) (2 loose filled cups)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 50 ml Champagne, Cava, Prosseco or Sparkling Wine (2 ½ tbsp)
- 50 ml Lemonade ) (2 ½ tbsp) Can be used instead of alcohol
- Raspberry, Strawberry or Chocolate Sauce
- Create a homemade sauce first, check out our Raspberry Sauce , Strawberry Sauce or Chocolate Sauce. Or use a shop-bought version?
- Wet ingredients- In a jug, whisk together egg, milk, vanilla extract, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Dry Ingredients- In a separate bowl or large jug, sift the flour, add baking powder and sugar, stir together.
- Make a well in the dry mixture, gradually stir in the wet ingredients you mixed earlier. Mix until lump-free.
- Use a stand mixer, hand whisk or even a fork. We used a handheld electric whisk to help speed up the process.
- Once lump free, pour your champagne or lemonade in. Gently fold it into the pancake batter mix.
- Put your frying pan on low-medium heat, place a metal cookie cutter or egg ring down. Spray pan and cutter with oil.
- Pour approx 70ml (⅓ cup) of the mixture into the oiled cookie cutter or egg ring.Adjust the amount to the size of ring used, ours was 11cm.
- Cook for approx 2 ½ minutes. Bubbles will form on the top. The sides need to have firmed enough to hold the shape when the ring is removed.
- Use a large spatula to flip the pancake.
- Cook the other side for a further 2 ½ minutes.
- Repeat for the rest of the pancakes, keep the cooked ones stacked and cover with foil, keep warm in an oven set at the lowest temperature setting.
- Pour your chosen sauce over the top of the stack!
- Serve as you like, stacked & sliced like a cake, as seen here.OrSmaller stacks, of 1, 2 or 3 pancakes per person.Serve with extra pouring sauce on the side.
This post was originally published on 18/10/2019 and has been modified on 17/04/2021 with a new name, updated step by steps, photos, a new video for creating the best thick stack of pancakes for an extra special breakfast.
Hope you enjoyed our recipe, if you were looking for more pancake recipe ideas check out our Easy English Pancakes.