Homemade Apple Sauce is so easy to make and a great addition to so many recipes. You can make it just the way you like it, chunky or smooth, and choose how sweet you like it.
What apples to use for apple sauce?
In this case, we used Bramley Cooking Apples. But you can use others depending on your preference (or what you have available)? We have used Golden Delicious and Pink Lady for Apple Sauce in the past, and they still came out good, especially if you want your sauce chunky as they hold there shape a little better.
Peel and chop the apple into large chunks. Place into a pan with water (adjust how much water for desired texture, if you want it chunky add less water) and cinnamon stick.
Cook on simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.
How to make Chunky Sauce?
For chunky Apple Sauce uses less water & cook for only 10 minutes.
How to make Thick Sauce?
We made our Apple Sauce quite thick but not chunky using a potato masher and not too much water added
How to make Smooth Sauce?
If you want smoother sauce you could add more water and use a stick blender to remove all lumps.
Do I need to add sugar to homemade apple sauce?
Now its time to add sugar, if you want to? Some are happy with the way it is, especially when serving to children or if following a low sugar diet.
Always taste test before adding any sugar.
Why add lemon juice to Apple Sauce?
We add lemon juice for a few reasons, firstly it gives a tart taste, secondly, it helps keep a nice colour to the apple sauce and lastly, it acts as a preservative making it last longer.
That’s it, apple sauce ready to use!
Especially good served up with our Flawless Yorkshire Puddings (follow the link for recipe)
So many other uses for Homemade Apple Sauce!
|Sweet condiment uses for Apple Sauce||Savoury condiment uses for Apple Sauce|
Added to Breakfast
In Pies or Cakes
|Glazed Gammon Joint|
Roasted Pork Belly
Toad in the hole
Did you know Apple Sauce can also be used as a direct substitute for butter or oil in cakes.
Homemade Apple Sauce
- 4 Bramley Apples (Cooking Apples) cored and chopped
- 300 ml (1 ¼ cup) water Add less for chunky.
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 150 grams (¾ cup) Granulated sugar Optional (add more or less to your desired sweetness)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice Optional, for extra tartness to make last longer and keep colour fresh
- Place chopped apple into a saucepan with the water and cinnamon stick
- Bring to a boil then turn heat down to simmer for 15 minutes
- Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Mash the apples up into desired texture (smooth or chunky?) stir in the sugar and lemon juice if using. Taste test as you go.
- Simmer for a further 5 mins, until the sugar has dissolved
How to store Homemade Apple Sauce?
Before using an old jar and lid, make sure to wash thoroughly and leave to sit in boiling water for 15 minutes.
Fill the sterilised jar with your Homemade Apple Sauce, and keep refrigerated between uses. Can be kept in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Otherwise, you can store in a plastic container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months.