Our Homemade Apple Sauce recipe is so easy when you know how to make it, and a great addition to so many recipes.
Choose chunky or smooth, and adjust to how sweet you like it. We give you step by steps to make this simple apple sauce at home.
What apples to use for apple sauce?
In this case, we used Bramley Cooking Apples. But, you can use others depending on your preference (or what you have available)?
We have used Golden Delicious and Pink Lady for Apple Sauce in the past, and they still came out good, especially if you want your sauce chunky as they hold there shape a little better.
Peel and chop the apple into large chunks. Place into a pan with water (adjust how much water for desired texture, if you want it chunky add less water) and cinnamon stick.
Cook on simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.
How to make Chunky Apple Sauce?
For chunky Apple Sauce uses less water & cook for only 10 minutes.
How to make Thick Apple Sauce?
We made our Apple Sauce quite thick but not chunky using a potato masher and not too much water added
How to make Smooth AppleSauce?
If you want smoother sauce you could add more water and use a stick blender to remove all lumps.
Do I need to add sugar to homemade apple sauce?
Now its time to add sugar, if you want to? Some are happy with the way it is, especially when serving to children or if following a low sugar diet.
Always taste test before adding any sugar, and add 1 tbsp at a time, until at desired sweetness.
Why add lemon juice to Apple Sauce?
We add lemon juice for a few reasons, firstly it gives a tart taste, secondly, it helps keep a nice colour to the apple sauce and lastly, it acts as a preservative making it last longer.
That’s it, apple sauce ready to use!
Perfect topping for desserts such as pancakes, waffles, pies, cakes, yoghurts and ice cream.
Equally great served up as condiment with a Pork or Gammon Roast Dinner.
|Sweet condiment uses for Apple Sauce||Savoury condiment uses for Apple Sauce|
Added to Breakfast
In Pies or Cakes
|Glazed Gammon Joint|
Roasted Pork Belly
Toad in the hole
There are so many uses for Homemade Apple Sauce, let us know how you use it?
Did you know Apple Sauce can also be used as a direct substitute for egg, butter or oil in cakes?
Homemade Apple Sauce
- 4 Bramley Apples (Cooking Apples) cored and chopped
- 300 ml (1 ¼ cup) water Add less for chunky.
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 150 grams (¾ cup) Granulated sugar Optional (add more or less to your desired sweetness)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice Optional, for extra tartness to make last longer and keep colour fresh
- Place chopped apple into a saucepan with the water and cinnamon stick
- Bring to a boil then turn heat down to simmer for 15 minutes
- Remove from heat. Take the cinnamon stick out and mash the apples up into desired texture (smooth or chunky?)
- Taste test, if not sweet enough, add a tablespoon at a time of sugar, keep adding, until at desired sweetness. Then add lemon juice.
- Return to low heat and simmer for a further 5 mins, until the sugar has dissolved. Serve and enjoy!!
How to store Homemade Apple Sauce?
We store ours in glass jars, available from Amazon. On the other hand, you can just use an old jam/pickle jar.
Before using an old jar and lid, make sure to wash thoroughly and leave to sit in boiling water for 15 minutes.
Fill the sterilised jar with your Homemade Apple Sauce, and keep refrigerated between uses.
How long does Apple Sauce last in fridge?
Can be kept in the fridge for up to 10 days.
How to freeze Apple Sauce?
Store in a plastic container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost before use.