One of my favourite Christmas side dishes. We have mixed up the traditional recipe this year by adding a polish twist.
So let me introduce you to our very own creation, Red Cabbage with Apple and Kabonas.
Very simple to make you can see step by step slide show here. The recipe card is at the bottom of the page.
It takes a while to cook the cabbage to a nice soft texture. However, you don't have to stand there watching just check back and give a stir here and there.
Can you freeze cooked red cabbage?
You can make this ahead of time. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for 1 month.
Perfect for making ahead before Christmas, one less thing to make on the day!
If you have a slow cooker it may be easier to use that for this recipe. Will take a longer time to cook but you won't need to keep an eye on it.
Bonus is the delicious scents it fills your house with!
What is Kabanos Sausage?
My brother's girlfriend is Polish, thought it would be nice to find a way to bring the taste of home for her into our Christmas dinner.
Kabonas is a polish sausage, you will find it in all supermarkets with the cured meats, we picked ours up from Tesco.
It's a long thin pork sausage, which can be eaten cold or hot and has a delicious smoky flavour. It complements the sweetness of the cabbage & apple perfectly.
The above picture is when we added the Kabanos. The scent in the kitchen for 1 ½hrs was amazing.
The below picture is the finished dish, you can see how the cabbage has soaked all the flavours up.
See below, served up with our delicious Salmon en croute!
If you want it sweeter you can add some cranberry sauce or try a bit of plum jam mixed in.
Braised Red cabbage with Apple and Kabonas Sausage
- 25 grams Unsalted butter
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 Red cabbage Large and finely sliced
- 2 cooking apples grated
- 4 tbsp sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Allspice
- 100 ml water
- 200 grams kabonas sausage chopped into small chunks
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat, gently fry the shallots for 5 mins, until they are soft.
- Add all the other ingredients (except the kabonas) stir together until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the kabanos sausage.
- Cover with a lid and place on a simmer for 1 ½ hr, stirring occasionally.
Slow cooker method
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, cook the shallots for 5 mins, until they are soft.
- Place in a slow cooker along with all the other ingredients. Turn on low and leave to cook for 4-5 hours, stir only once halfway through.
If you liked our Red Cabbage with Apple and Kabonas. Keep an eye on our recipes as we will have more Christmas posts coming up soon.
If you like this recipe, why not try this out with our Flawless Roast potatoes!!