Can’t beat a homemade, Succulent Steak and Doom bar pie it’s absolutely amazing. In particular, melt in the mouth beef, chunky vegetables and of course the subtlely sweet, yet bitter taste from Doom Bar Ale, Superb!!
One of my favourite classic British Pub dishes, popular amongst many Autumn menus. I have never found a pub making it with my favourite Ale, Doom Bar.
Brings the pub grub feel to your own doorstep. Of course, if you have a different favourite Ale just switch it for any ale you prefer!
What cut of beef is best for pies?
We used Stewing steak for our pie, but using braising steak or a nice chunk of silverside will be great for making a good steak and Doom bar ale pie.
Pie can be served any day of the week, in this case, it was a Sunday dinner for the family. Such a huge achievement when you hear family saying they don’t want the meal to end!”
Faster preparation ingredients we used in this recipe!
A few cheat products used to help speed up this already speedy recipe, in this case, all available from UK supermarkets!
- Gia Garlic Puree – Garlic ready crushed to put into your recipe, 1tsp is equal to 2 garlic cloves. No more stinky fingers, we use it in most recipes that call for crushed garlic!
- Gia Sundried Tomato Puree- Sundried Tomato’s in Oil with herbs and spices pureed down to a thick paste, fantastic to add extra richness to any dishes that call for Tomato Puree. However, you will only need half the amount in comparison to plain Tomato Puree.
Steak and Doom Bar Pie
- 600 g Stewing Steak chopped in cubes
- 3 Large Shallots finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Butter
- 2 Carrots chopped
- 350 g Mushrooms chopped any type you like, we used 250g Chestnut and 100g Shimeji
- 1 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp Gia Garlic Puree 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp Gia Sundried Tomato Puree or 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tbsp Sherry Vinegar we used Macetilla
- 350 ml Doom Bar Ale Or any preference of Ale you like
- 300 ml Beef Stock made from 2 stock cubes
- 2 packets Puff pastry
- 1 Sprig of Rosemary
- 1 Sprig of Thyme
- 2 Bay leafs
- Pre heat the oven at 190°
- Place the chopped shallots into a frying pan with some olive oil and cook until browned
- Place all the above ingredients into the casserole dish (except the pastry) and stir all the great flavours together.
- Put lid on casserole dish, place in the oven at 190° and cook for 2 hrs
- While the pie is cooking in the oven,Line the a pie dish with butter covering all the tin.
- Roll out a pack of pastry enough to line your pie dish with an overhang, you may need some of the 2nd packet to add to it.Roll the remaining Pastry enough to cover the top as a lid, lightly score a diamond pattern and set aside until filling is cooked.
- Tip the filling mixture into the pie dish. Brush the edges with egg yolk. Place the pastry top lid on, brush with egg
- With the overhanging pastry pull it on top of lid, making crinkle folds around the top cover of the pie. Brush the folds with more egg and then place in the oven at 180 ° for 40 mins.
- We served our pie with Mash and some fresh Vegetables
What do you serve with steak pie?
Below I have listed suggestions for what to serve your Steak and Doom Bar pie with;
- Garlic Mash Potato
- Chunky Chips
- A generous splash of our Onion Gravy
This is a sponsored recipe created for Gia Garlic Puree & Gia Sundried Tomato Puree, they are especially fantastic product’s quick and easy to use speeding up the process of making this recipe! At the same time, they taste as good as the fresh alternative.
If you like our Beef recipe why out try out our Korean Beef recipe