These buttery, crumbly cute cookies filled with the delicious tropical flavour’s of Passion Fruit are sure to give you a Spring buzz. Super easy to make, there is no chance of failing, try out this mini Passion Fruit Thumbprint Cookies now, you only need 30 minutes! Grab the kids and enjoy some bonding time in the kitchen making these together.
What are Thumbprint Cookies?
They are similar to shortbread, with a thumbprint dent in the middle which is perfect for filling with jam, curds or chocolate spread. In Sweden they are known as Hallongrotta which translates to ‘Raspberry Cave’. However in United States they are more commonly known as Thumbprint Cookies.
We decided to fill ours with the delicious tropical flavours of passion fruit curd. More on where you can get this below!
How to make Passion Fruit Thumbprint cookies?
First step is to make your cookie dough, beat the sugar and butter together until smooth, we used an electric hand mixer. Then add your egg, followed by salt and vanilla extract.
Now sift in the flour and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula, to form a dough.
Divide the dough using a tablespoon amount to roll into small balls. Roll the ball in sugar.
Then place in a baking tray on parchment paper or a silicone sheet, use the back of the teaspoon (or your thumb) to push the ball down, leaving you with a round cookie, with a shallow hole! Bake in a preheated oven (180C /350F) for 12 minutes, filling with curd halfway through.
Now for the filling, we used this amazing Passion Fruit Curd from The Cherry Tree. Fantastically zingy flavour of Passion Fruit. Of course you can use any preserve you like jams work well or my daughter has made chocolate spread versions. (coming to a blog post soon).
Do you fill thumbprint cookies before or after baking?
You can put the passion fruit curd in before baking if you wish, however, we like to keep the curd soft so we fill them up halfway through cooking.
So after 6 minutes remove the tray and use a piping bag/ plastic food bag or even just a spoon to fill the hole in with passion fruit curd!! Pop back in the oven for the final 6 minutes.
When finished cool on a rack and dust over with icing sugar (optional)
Enjoy the mouthwatering deliciousness of these Passion Fruit Thumbprint Cookies, I can guarantee you won’t stop at one!!
Passion Fruit Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 Egg Whisked
- 110 grams (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 230 grams (1 ¾ cup)Plain flour
- 55 grams (¼ cup) Caster sugar + 3 tbsp more for coating
- pinch of Salt
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 15 tsp Passion Fruit Curd
- 15 tsp Lemon Curd
- Preheat oven at 180°C/350F
- Beat the sugar and butter together until smooth, we used an electric hand mixer.
- Add your egg, followed by salt and vanilla extract.
- Sift in the flour and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula, to form a dough.
- Divide the dough using a tablespoon amount to roll into small balls, should make 20 balls, roll each ball in sugar.
- Place in a baking tray on parchment paper or a silicone sheet, use the back of the tablespoon (or your thumb) to push the ball down, leaving you with a round cookie, with a shallow hole.
- Place in the oven for 6 minutes, remove and using a piping bag or teaspoon, fill each hole with passion fruit curd.
- Pop back in the oven for another 6 minutes to finish cooking.
- Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar (or just eat them warm!)