Try out this wholesome pot roast dinner, Braising Steak slow-cooked in a horseradish gravy stew, with carrots and shallots.
Other beef cuts suitable for slow cooking, include brisket, cheeks, chuck or short ribs.
Use a cast iron pan, dutch oven, lidded casserole dish or in a slow cooker - crockpot to cook in. A proper winter warmer and a relatively cheap meal too!
How to cook Braising Steak?
Braising Steak needs long slow cooking at a low temperature and with enough liquid to stew in. Check out our slideshow below, to see how to make at home.
Carry on reading tips about slow cooked beef on this page, or jump straight to the recipeJump to Recipe
Do I have to slow cook Stewing Steak?
Stewing Steak needs to be cooked at a low temperature for a long time.
The cut of beef is from hardworking muscles of the cow, slow cooking helps to soften down the otherwise tough muscles.
Hence, if cooked for a shorter time although the meat will be cooked, it will also be tough.
Should I sear beef before slow cooking?
Recommended to sear beef before cooking for a few reasons. Not only for better texture and flavour to the beef but also prepares the pan with juicy meaty flavouring.
Can I cook Braising Steak in a slow cooker?
Yes, braising steak is the best beef to use in a slow cooker.
Slow cooking at a low temperature, without a doubt, will bring perfectly succulent beef to the plate.
We have included instructions for both pot roasting & slow cookers in the recipe card at the bottom for page.
Other names for Braising Steak?
In the UK we call it Braising Steak or Stewing Steak. This is an umbrella term for beef that needs to be cooked slowly.
Such as, Chuck, Cheeks, Skirt, Flank, Short Ribs or Brisket. The bonus is they are also the cheaper cuts of beef!
Should I use stock cube or stockpot for stew?
It is best to use stockpots, while cubes would work too, the amount you need to use will contain alot of salt and don't give as rich a flavour. Our favourite is Knorr Rich Beef Stockpot.
Do I need to chop and peel chancery carrots?
The beauty with using chancery carrots for this stew is it makes it so quick and easy, no need to peel or chop them! (although I do take the tops off it is not necessary).
However, if you use normal carrots it is best to chop and peel them first.
How to make gravy from beef stew cooking juices?
When your braising steak has finished braising, simply plate the beef and carrots. Leaving just the cooking juices.
Heat over the hob and add cornflour (mixed with water first) stir through to thicken the juices to make a delicious gravy.
What to serve with Braised Beef?
Or as seen above served with Yorkshire Puddings, Parsnip and Sweet Potato Gratin. (recipe coming soon).
Braising Steak with Horseradish Gravy - Slow Cooked Beef
- 4 Braising Steaks (about 150g/5oz each) (brisket, flank, skirt, cheeks, chuck, short ribs)
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 6 Shallots (cut in half) or 2 onions cut in quarters
- 3 Garlic Cloves (minced) or 1 tablespoon garlic puree
- 1 tablespoon Tomato puree we used sundried tomato puree for extra richness
- ¼ teaspoon each of tumeric, cumin, ground ginger, ground coriander or you could use 1 teaspoon of curry powder instead
- 2 tablespoon Creamy Horseradish
- 2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 500 ml (2 cups) Beef Stock ideally made from a stockpot, rather than a stock cube
- 200 g Carrots We used Chantenay carrots for quicker prep (no peeling/chopping).
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Cornflour mixed with 2 tablespoon water until lump free
Oven Cook Method
- Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F. Sear braising steaks in vegetable oil on medium heat for 2 minutes each side. Remove and keep aside for later.
- Add shallots (onions) to the pan fry for 5 minutes.
- Add crushed garlic & tomato puree
- Add tumeric, cumin, ground ginger, ground coriander, stir through.
- Add horesradish sauce and sugar
- Add stock and stir through
- Add carrots, thyme & bay leaf, bring to the boil, add salt & pepper to taste. Turn heat off.
- Return braising steak to pan and push under the liquid.
- Pop lid on and place in the oven for 2 - 2 ½ hours. If the pan you prepared in is not oven-proof, transfer to a lidded cassorole dish first.
- Plate up braising steak and carrots from the pan and return pan to the hob to make the gravy.
- Mix cornflour with water until lump-free. Then add to the sauce, bring to the boil and stir until the gravy has thickened.
Slow Cooker Method
- Follow oven method up to step 8 then transfer to a slow cooker. Cook for 8 hours on the lowest setting. Then copy oven steps to make gravy
We hope you enjoyed this braising steak recipe? Why not try our Italian Pot Roast With Pasta, another great pot roast dish using a slow cooking method to cook beef.