The best slow cooker sausage casserole recipe, sausages cooked in a slow cooker with stock, onions and mushrooms. A delicious and easy to prepare slow cooker recipe idea.
The sausage, onions, mushrooms and beef stock give this dish a rich flavour. While the garlic and dried herbs add subtle notes of spice. With all these ingredients combined together, your family will love this recipe!
How to make Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole?
Watch our video to see how easy it is to prepare this hearty slow cooker meal. The majority of cooking is in the morning. Then it is left all day to cook, ready to enjoy later on in the evening.
Ingredients for sausage casserole.
The ingredients needed for cooking a sausage casserole recipe in the slow cooker are as follows.
These first 3 ingredients are best when cooked before you transfer to the slow cooker.
We like to use good quality sausage with a high pork content, so we know exactly what we are eating! Like the Heck sausages which contain 97% pork.
We like to use red onions, white or brown onions can be used instead. Sautee the onions in olive oil in a frying pan slowly over low heat with the lid on. Cook until soft before adding a splash of balsamic vinegar to add an extra rich sweetness to the casserole.
I love the savoury, salty flavour bacon lardons add to this sausage casserole. You can cut up stips of bacon instead.
Sliced chestnut mushrooms or white mushrooms or use whole baby button mushrooms.
Sundried Tomato Puree & Garlic.
Sundried tomato puree adds a great depth and richness to the sausage casserole, it can be substituted with tomato puree.
Fresh or Dried Herbs in a slow cooker?
When using a slow cooker, it is important to use dried herbs. Due to the long period of cooking time, fresh herbs do not do well in the slow cooker.
We use dried mixed herbs and a couple of bay leaves.
If you really wanted to add fresh herbs you can add them at the end of cooking.
Cornflour is brilliant for slow cooker recipes as it helps thicken the sauces up. We use it in with the stock during cooking. And also add more at the end to thicken up the sausage casserole gravy.
It is important to first mix the cornflour with an equal amount of water to prevent lumps from forming.
We like to use beef stock made from a stock cube with boiling water. I highly recommend using a low salt version, the bacon is already supplying us with a salty flavour.
Do not be tempted to add more liquid, the browned sausages will be sat on top of the ingredients and won't be submerged in the liquid.
This is normal and during cooking, more liquids will be released from the food and steam. and your sausages will have liquid over them by the end of cooking time as can be seen below!
Do I have to brown sausages before slow cooking?
You don’t have to brown sausages before putting them in the slow cooker casserole dish.
But they taste and look a lot better when you do. Who wants an anaemic soft-skinned sausage on their plate?
Sausage casserole cooking time in the slow cooker?
For best results cook this simple sausage casserole in the slow cooker on the low setting for 6 hours.
If you have not got the time you can cook in the slow cooker for 4 hours on the high setting.
Slow cookers are fantastic for slow-cooked meals. However due to the lid being on during the whole cooking time the casserole is naturally going to be too runny.
To resolve this we thicken the gravy up adding cornflour in the casserole dish after it has finished cooking.
How to thicken slow cooker casserole?
If you want to make the casserole gravy thicker, after the full cooking time.
Mix 1 tablespoon of cornflour with 1 tablespoon of water, mix until lump-free, then and add to the pot.
Cook on high and keep the lid off. It will thicken within 15 to 30 minutes whilst you prepare the side dishes.
What to serve with Sausage Casserole?
We like to serve our slow cooker sausage casserole on top of a bed of creamy mashed potatoes and peas.
Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole with Onion and Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Red Onions cut into rings
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 6 Sausages
- 100 grams Bacon Lardons
- 190 grams Mushrooms We like chestnut mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Puree or 2 cloves minced
- ½ tablespoon Sundried Tomato Puree or 1 tablespoon regular tomato puree
- 500 ml Beef Stock I reccomend using reduced salt cubes
- ½ teaspoon Mixed Herbs
- 2 Bay Leaves
- In a pan, gently sautee red onion rings in olive oil over low heat with the lid on for about 6 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally.1 tablespoon Olive Oil, 2 Red Onions
- Add a splash of balsamic vinegar to the onions once softened and stir through with the lid off.1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- Meanwhile in another pan and fry off bacon lardons for 2 minutes.100 grams Bacon Lardons
- Place sausages in a medium hot pan, use a fork to pierce skin to allow fat to escape during cooking.6 Sausages
- Keep turning sausages until browned on all sides. They do not need to be cooked through, they will finish cooking in the slow cooker.
- Into the slow cooker add mushrooms with cooked onions and bacon lardons.190 grams Mushrooms
- Add sundried tomato puree, garlic, herbs and bay leaves.1 teaspoon Garlic Puree, ½ tablespoon Sundried Tomato Puree, ½ teaspoon Mixed Herbs, 2 Bay Leaves
- Mix together cornflour with equal amount of water until smooth and lump free.Cornflour
- Pour cornflour mixture in with the beef stock and stir well.500 ml Beef Stock
- Pour stock over the top of all the ingredients and stir through.
- Pop the browned sausages on top.
- Pop the lid on. Cook for6 hours on Low (Recommended for best results)or4 hours on High
- Keep the lid on the whole time. Do not feel tempted to lift it to look inside or stir it! This will affect the total cooking time.
- After the full cooking time take the lid off and give a good stir.
- If you like a thicker gravy mix 1 tablespoon of cornflour with 1 tablespoon of water and add to the pot. Turn on high and keep the lid off. It should thicken within 15 minutes.
- Ready to serve, perfect with mashed potato
More Slow Cooker Recipes
If you enjoy our Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole with Onion and Mushrooms. Then you will love our slow cooker chilli con carne recipe.
We will be creating more slow cooker recipes to add to our collection soon.
Check out our large choice of slow-cooked recipes for the oven.
From delicious slow-cooked Italian pot roast. Melt in your mouth Greek lamb Kleftiko or slow cooked lamb shoulder. Our popular British slow roast silverside beef or Croatian Lamb Peka, there's bound to be something you like.