Looking for easy healthy party food ideas for the kids this Halloween? Get the kids involved with making this super cute and fun buffet-style Halloween Fruit Salad.
Full of lots of different fruits including melons & pineapple cut into cat, ghost, bat and pumpkin shaped treats using cookie cutters.
How to prepare fruit for Halloween Fruit Salad?
To be honest, there is not much to it really, but we give a few tricks (and treats, it is Halloween after all) for you to help you on the way!
Check out the slideshow below
Now, carry on reading below for tips on preparing the fruit or head straight to the recipe card?Jump to Recipe
What cutters to use for Halloween Fruit Salad shapes?
We used these Mini Halloween cookie cutters from Amazon.
If you don't get these ones, remember to choose ones which are small enough to cut shapes out of fruit.
These cutters are between 2-3 inches. You wouldn't want them bigger than that, as won't get many cuttings!!
How to prepare fruit for Halloween Fruit Salad?
You can prepare the fruit salad ahead of time, so you are not rushing it before the guests arrive. A have included a few tips below for preventing the fruit spoiling and best fruits to use for cutting shapes in
How to prevent Apple and Pear from turning brown?
There are a few methods to stop apples and pears from turning brown, our favourite way is to presoak the slices in soda water.
There is no change to the taste using soda water, unlike other methods such as citric acid, lemon juice or salt water, which work just as well but change the taste.
Simply slice the apple and pear and place into a bowl, then pour enough soda water to cover the slices.
Cover & keep in the refrigerator to soak whilst you prepare the other fruits.
Best fruits to use for cutting out shapes?
Melons and pineapples are perfect fruits for getting big enough slices to for cutting shapes out off.
We find it best to remove the skin first, then slice ½ inch slices from top to bottom (see pictures).
You should end up with a few slices with enough room to cut out shapes, before you reach the seeds or core.
Than cut the shapes out with the Halloween cutters. Keep to one side.
Any left over fruit from what has been cut out can be chopped into smaller chunks to add to the fruit salad.
Turning Satsuma's into mini Halloween pumpkins
My kids are fussy with the white pith around there satsuma, so I use a small sharp knife to help remove it all.
To make them look more like pumpkins we cut a chunk of cucumber to put inside the top like a stalk.
Removing skin and slicing kiwi fruit?
To remove the skin from a kiwi quickly and easily, simply chop the two ends off and insert a dessert spoon near the skin at the edge.
Then twist the fruit around the spoon in your hand. Once you have gone 360 around the skin, the fruit will easily glide away from the skin.
Slice kiwi into thin slices.
How to assemble Halloween Fruit Salad?
Now that all the chopping is done its time to present it! Start off with the off cuts of melon and pineapple at the bottom.
Drain the apple and pears of soda water and layer them on top, then add satsumas and passion fruit.
Next, start adding kiwi and blackberries and blueberries and grapes.
Finally, start adding your Halloween shapes, cat, bat, ghost and pumpkins to the top.
Use the smaller fruits, blackberries, blueberries and grapes to help prop up the shaped fruits.
How to animate fruit with edible eyes?
We used some edible coloured balls (usually used on cupcakes), to add some characteristic eyes to the fruit shapes.
Use a cocktail stick to poke a hole, then add the balls in the holes.
Sugar and allergy-free Halloween Party Food Idea?
Halloween Fruit Salad is perfect for serving up when you have people with allergies over. Naturally free from dairy, egg, nut and gluten.
Also Vegan and Vegetarian friendly so suitable for everyone!
It is amazing to see how excited the kids get when presented with such a healthy sweet treat.
Undoubtedly, the fun shaped fruits will keep them grabbing for more!
All the sweetness but best of all, without the sugar normally associated with Halloween party food.
Halloween Fruit Salad - Healthy Party Food Idea
These are the fruits we used, but you can switch for your own choices?
- 2 Passion Fruit
- 1 Apple
- 2 Pear
- ½ Bottle Soda Water used to stop apple and pear turning brown
- 2 Kiwi
- 1 punnet Blueberries
- 1 punnet Grapes
- 1 punnet Blackberry
- 4 Satsumas
- 2 slices Cucumber cut into for pumpkin stalk chunks
Below fruits are used for Halloween cut out shapes (check blog for pictures & advice of how to cut)
- 1 Pineapple
- 1 Cantaloupe Melon
- 1 Honey Dew Melon
- ½ Watermelon
- 1 tub Edible Cake decorations for eyes
- Slice apple & pears into thin slices.
- Soak the apple and pear in a bowl with soda water, keep in fridge until ready finished the other steps (the soda waters stops them from turning brown)
- Remove skin from all of the melon's and the pineapple
- Slice melons and pineapple, lengthways to maximise the number of shapes able to cut from it. Check out the blog post for more info on how to cut each fruit
- Use Halloween cutters to cut out shapes in the melon and pineapple slices.Cut the leftover melon and pineapple into chunks.
- Prepare the other fruits (see blog post for further advice)
- Start layering the leftover chunks of melon or pineapple on to a plate or shallow bowl, then start adding the other fruits.
- Once plate/bowl starts filling up place your Halloween Shapes on top. Use the smaller fruits, such as red grapes and blueberries behind them to help stand them up.
- Use a cocktail stick to make holes ready to stick in eyes.
- Push your chosen decoration as eyes into the holes (we used edible balls, normally used for cupcakes)
- All done, keep covered and refrigerated until ready to consume.
We hope you enjoyed this easy & fun to make Halloween Fruit Salad. Why not check out our other Halloween recipes, seen below. Or for more fruit shaping try our watermelon ball bowl.
I would also like to make a special mention to The Devil wears Salad's beautiful Fresh Fruit platter, where I got the inspiration from to create this Halloween Fruit Salad.