Give our Flawless Lemon Drizzle Cake recipe a go for a sweet treat. Delicious zingy lemon syrup drizzled over a lemon zested sponge cake to make it even sweeter and moist. Topped with a wonderful yet simple decoration of lemon zest & edible rose petals.
How to make Flawless Lemon Drizzle Cake
We give you step by step guide in UK & US measurements on the recipe card at the end of this page. Check out the quick simple video below.
We also give a few tips and tricks in this blog post, you are welcome to skip straight to the recipe or read through the tips we give?
How to measure cake ingredients?
Conversely, the best way to measure for your cake recipe is to do equal measurements on a measuring scale (not cups). I always measure my eggs first, then match the sugar, butter & flour to it.
In this case, my 3 medium eggs (including the shell) weighed in at 175 grams. So I used equal measures of 175g sugar, 175g butter & 175g self-raising flour.
How to Cream butter and sugar
Cream the room temperature butter and sugar together using a mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes. It will become pale and fluffy when ready. Next, add the zest of 2 lemons.
How to add egg to creamed butter and sugar?
Whisk the eggs, before adding one tbsp at a time. Stirring between each addition helps prevent it from curdling.
Last step is to fold the flour in with a silicone spatula until well mixed.
Place mixture into a greased 20cm cake tin. Cook in a 180°C conventional (350F) / 160°C fan (320F) preheated oven for 40 minutes.
Remove and leave in tin to cool whilst you prepare the lemon drizzle syrup.
How to make lemon drizzle cake syrup?
Simply warm up the juice of 2 lemons in a small saucepan and add 75 grams of icing sugar.
Finally, poke holes all over the sponge using a cocktail stick or something similar.
Before pouring the sweet sticky lemon syrup over the top, watch as it drizzles into the sponge and down the sides!
You can serve like this or follow our easy decoration tips below.
How to decorate a Lemon Drizzle Cake?
In this case, we decorated out Flawless Lemon Drizzle cake with Lemon Zest and edible Rose Petals ( we got ours from Buy Wholefoods Online) to give it a timeless classic beauty. Looks perfect served up at a classic British Afternoon Tea party or a simple single-layered birthday cake.
Of course, you can serve straight up or top with double cream or ice cream on the side.
Check out how moist that sponge is, pure perfection in every bite! Thoroughly enjoyed by all!
Flawless Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 175 grams (¾ cup) Butter room temperture
- 175 grams (¾ cup) Caster Sugar we used unrefined golden caster sugar
- 175 grams (1⅓ cup) Self-Raising Flour
- 3 medium Eggs beaten (2 large)
- 2 Lemons Zest for cake/ Juice for drizzle
- 75 grams Icing Sugar
- 1/2 Lemon zest
- Edible Rose Petal
- Preheat oven to 180°C conventional (350°F)/ 160°C fan (320°F). Line the bottom of a 20 cm cake tin with greaseproof paper and butter the sides.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together using a mixer on medium speed for 1-2 minutes, until light & fluffy
- Add the zest of two lemons (save the lemons to use juice later for lemon syrup), stir in.
- Beat the eggs into a separate bowl before adding a tablespoon at a time into the creamed butter and sugar. Make sure to mix each edition between adding.
- Sift the self-raising flour in. Use a silicone spatula to gently fold the flour into the butter, sugar, lemon and egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into the cake tin and place in oven for 40 minutes. Do not open the oven to peek, it will ruin the cake! Remove from the oven and allow to cool in tin.
- Squeeze the lemon juice from the lemons you zested earlier into a small saucepan on low-medium heat.
- Add icing sugar, stir through and remove from heat.
- Remove cake from the tin, place on whatever you will be serving it on. Use a cocktail stick or thin BBQ skewer to poke holes into the sponge.
- Pour the lemon syrup all over the cake, allowing it to sink into the holes.
- Optional- Decorate with lemon zest and edible rose petals.
Hope you enjoyed this Flawless Lemon Drizzle Cake recipe, why not check out our Manor House Sultana Cake for your next bake?