This Easy Masala Tea Recipe is ready in minutes the scent it brings to the home is amazing. Even the kids enjoy this with us with some extra sweetness added in!
We first got introduced to this Indian Spiced Tea by a close friend. We loved the taste of it so much we now often make it for ourselves at home.
See our step by step slide show on how we made our winter warming masala tea recipe, or jump to to recipe below to get full ingredients.
Of course, if you have time to make it using whole ingredients and loose tea that is even better. This recipe is the closest to it in the least amount of time.
What is Masala Tea made off?
If making from whole ingredients, you will need equal measures of the following; White Pepper, Black Pepper, Cloves, Poppy Seeds, Cardamoms, Ginger & Nutmeg.
We use Jalpur Tea Masala mixed spices which is available to buy from Indian food stores. Or you can find it on Amazon. It is also often called Indian Spiced Tea mix or Chai Masala. The packet lasts a long time as you only need ½ teaspoon for 2 mugs.
We believe the best way to make it is in a saucepan. It simmers and soaks up the flavours whilst boiling.
Alternatively, you can make it in the microwave instead if you prefer? Boil water in the kettle, add a tea bag and leave to stew. Meanwhile warm the milk with the masala spice mix in a microwave for about 3 minutes, stirring halfway.
We like to strain the tea before serving. This is optional if using the powdered tea masala it isn't really necessary. But I am a perfectionist and the kids prefer it this way.
Health benefits of Masala Tea / Chai?
In the past Indian's would drink this tea masala for all its health benefits. It is known to prevent colds, boost immunity, aid digestion, prevent bloating, improve metabolism and control blood pressure.
We add sugar or sweetener to the tea at the end as we all like it at different sweetness! The kids love it really sweet. I also add more milk for them to tone the spices down a little.
We used some cute goblet glasses to serve in, best to have ones with handles really! Like the below.
Traditionally Masala Tea is a morning drink, to help start the day. On the other hand, we enjoy it in the evening by switching the tea bag to decaffeinated. It acts as a soothing bedtime treat. Help drift off into a nice sleep with delicious spice scents feeling your room.
📖 Step by Step Recipe
Easy Masala Tea Recipe
- 420 ml water
- 140 ml milk
- ½ teaspoon Tea Masala we used Jalpur Tea
- 2 Tea Bags regular or decaff
- sugar/Sweetner To Taste
- 1 Star Anise (Optional)
- Place the Water, Milk, Tea Masala, Tea bags and Star Anise in a saucepan on a medium heat
- Stir, bring to the boil then simmer for 5-10 mins
- Pouring into the cup (optional if you want to use a fine sieve)
- Add sugar or sweetener to taste
- Boil the kettle. Place tea bags in two mugs filling just over halfway with boiling water.
- Whilst the teabag stews, mix the milk and spice mix in a deep microwave-safe jug/bowl.
- Warm the milk & spice mix for 3 minutes in microwave (keeping an eye that it doesn't boil over)
- Remove tea bag and pour spiced milk over the top stirring well.
- Add sugar or sweetener to taste.
Hope this Easy Masala Tea Recipe brings some Hygge into your life? Don't forget to share your love below in the comments. Feel free to share on social media pages, please link back to us.