Surprisingly quick and easy to make, these puff pastry swirls have the rich flavour of Gia Sundried Tomato Puree, oozing with Mozzarella with an added crunch of Crispy Bacon. A delicious mix of savoury goodness, perfect for all occasions.
These Sundried Tomato Bacon and Mozzarella Swirls were one of our first creations for the Gia brand, before we started food blogging.
We thought it was about time to share on our site too! So here you have it.
Of course, this can be made using regular tomato puree if you can’t find any Sundried Tomato Puree? However, the extra richness that comes from the Sundried Tomato Puree which comes ready blended with oils and herbs, really is the secret ingredient to making these swirls!
Video of Sundried Tomato & Bacon Swirls being made
Hope you enjoyed the above step by step video creating these Sundried Tomato Bacon and Mozzarella swirls.
Indeed they are super easy, we created these swirls for a family gathering and they got demolished!! In hindsight, we should have made 3 times the amount!
Sundried Tomato Bacon and Mozzarella Swirls are great for a starter, snacks, packed lunches, picnics, parties, lunch, game day or a midnight snack! Also, make sure you check out our other sharing recipes for more ideas for your event?
Puff pastry savoury filling ideas?
Alternatively, use other filling combinations? Here is a selection of ideas which will work well, with the same directions. Obviously, make sure the cheese/meat is sliced or grated/shredded into small bits, for it to work.
|Cheddar & Marmite|
Chorizo & Manchego
Pesto & Mozzarella Swirls
Tomato Puree and Mozzarella
Turkey, Brie & Cranberry
|Gruyere & Ham|
Prosciutto & Parmesan
Chicken, Cheese & BBQ sauce
Blue cheese & Salami
Gouda & Olive Tapenade
Let us know of any other ideas you may have for your puff pastry swirls? We will post some more ideas as soon as we make them!
Sundried Tomato Bacon and Mozzarella swirls
- 1 Sheet of Puff pastry pre rolled
- Plain flour for dusting
- 80 grams Gia Sundried Tomato Puree 1/3 cup tomato paste/tapenade
- 8-10 slices streaky bacon cooked
- 100 g (4 oz) Mozzarella cheese Grated
- 1 Egg whisked
- Fry light spray oil
- Fresh Basil chopped for seasoning
- Dust the chopping board with plain flour, place down the puff pastry sheet.
- Squeeze the Gia Sundried Tomato Puree on the pastry sheet, spread evenly.
- Place the streaky bacon evenly on the pastry sheet and sprinkle the mozzarella on top.
- Roll the pastry from one end into a long sausage.
- Spray a sharp knife with spray oil to prevent sticking, cut into even pieces
- Place the swirls flat down on a baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Glaze each swirl with whisked egg
- Place on the baking tray in a preheated oven 200c/400f on the middle shelf for 20-25 min until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for 10 mins sprinkle with fresh chopped basil.
How to store Puff Pastry Swirls?
Store swirls at room temperature if eating that day. Best served fresh out of the oven, however, can be eaten at room temperature.
When cooking them ahead, store in the fridge for up to 3 days, but best to reheat them in the oven for 10 minutes to soften up the pastry and cheese again!
Can I freeze Puff Pastry Swirls?
Yes, I recommend you make them and bake them. Leave to cool before transferring to the freezer on a tray. Once frozen place in freezer bags. Will store for up to 1 month.
Reheat Sundried Tomato Bacon and Mozzarella Swirls in the oven at 200 C/ 400 F from frozen for 20-25 minutes.