This easy Puff Pastry Pizza Wheel recipe is a great savoury party food, perfect for sharing! Delightful flavouring of tomato and garlic, chorizo, mozzarella and Italian herbs sandwiched in puff pastry sheets, then uniquely cut into strips to create mini pizza like twists.
We give you step by step guide how to make at home, I love working with puff pastry, it always amazes me to see my ideas grow into something beautiful in the oven.
Scroll down to the bottom, for a printable step by step recipe card and to get started straight away. However, I will give some extra tricks and tips in this blog post, should you want it?
What is the best puff pastry to use, ready rolled, block or homemade?
Everyone has there own preference, I have yet to make my own homemade puff pastry as I find the block puff pastry more than adequate!
Ready made block pastry can be rolled to the shape and size you desire so works perfect for this recipe.
The ready rolled sheets are quicker and easier, however for this particular recipe it limits the size of dinner plate you can use. There will be more leftover pastry as they are shaped rectangular.
Therefore my goto pastry for this puff pastry pizza wheel, is the ready made block pastry. Jus-roll is the brand we use, which is available from most supermarkets in the fresh and frozen aisle.
If using frozen defrost before use.
How to roll out a puff pastry block?
Lay down a large sheet of greaseproof paper to roll the pastry out on to. This stops it from sticking and helps make it easier to turn between rolling out. Also helps make it easier to transfer to the baking sheet when its time to cook.
Place the block of puff pastry in the middle of the greaseproof paper. Sprinkle flour over your rolling pin.
Roll pastry block away from you a few times.
Twist paper ¼ turn (which twists the pastry too!). Roll away from you a couple of times.
Use extra flour on your pin if it becomes tacky
Continue repeating this process always rolling away from you a couple of times, then twisting ¼ turn.
Until the square is big enough to fit a dinner plate on top.
Then cut around the plate to create a perfect circle.
Repeat this so you have 2 round sheets!
What to do with leftover pastry scraps?
Give them to the kids, let them be creative!
Roll into strips, add some jam, chocolate, nutella,or cheese then twist, roll or plait into itself! Give exposed puff pastry an egg wash.
Bake in oven 200c fan 400f for about 15 mins!
What to put in the puff pastry pizza wheel?
We use tomato and garlic puree, chorizo, italian herbs and mozzarella.
Start with your tomato base, we use a tomato and garlic puree by Gia to add a lovely subtle garlic flavour.
Obviously you can use a plain tomato puree instead! Spread with the back of a spoon.
Add your chorizo slices the ones we used were quite large, 9 slices was enough! Try not to layer them on top of each other, it will make it harder to cut.
Alternatives to Chorizo?
Feel free to substitute the chorizo for salami, pepperoni, ham, cooked bacon, chicken slices, prosciutto. Or skip the meat and just use cheese!
Sprinkle over some Italian herbs. Then top with a generous amount of grated mozzarella cheese.
You can use other cheeses but grated mozzarella will give you the best and most satisfying stringy cheese pull when cooked.
Next, use a small amount of water to dip your finger in and spread around the edge of pastry.
Gently pick up the second layer of pastry and place on top, putting slight pressure on the wet edges to help seal the two pastry layers together.
Place a small ramkin/tumbler in the middle of pastry. This will stop you cutting too deep in and also will later be where you store the pot to fill with ketchup or BBQ sauce.
Cut into half each side of the ramekin. Then half again, then half all of them once more! So there will be 16 segments in total.
How to egg wash puff pastry?
Egg wash consists of one whole egg beaten with 1 tbsp of water. This will help give the puff pastry a even brown colour and glossy finish to the overall look.
Use a pastry brush to finely coat the top layer of pastry with egg wash.
Now its time to create the twists, you want to give one full twist to each section. You can do 2 twists if wanted.
Repeat egg wash on the underside you have exposed after you have created the twists.
Add a sprinkle more Italian herbs to the top of pizza wheel
Slide the greaseproof paper on to a baking sheet, its now time to cook and watch this beautifully puff up!
What temperature to cook puff pastry?
Puff Pastry needs a hot oven for the pastry dough to rise & puff. When using a fan oven 200 C / 400 F is the perfect temperature.
Cook in the center of preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Do not open the oven too early during cooking as when the heat escapes the pastry will sink.
Check it through the window to see if it is ready before opening oven.
When done you can serve still warm or allow to cool before refrigerating.
Our favourite way of serving it is fresh out of the oven. Whilst it is still warm.
Just pull at one of the twists and marvel at the stretchy, gooey cheese!
We put a ramekin dish of ketchup in the middle to dip into.
Then we invited the eagerly awaiting kids in for a pull! Check out the stringy stretchy magic!
We all see who can get the biggest cheese pull!
Puff Pastry Pizza Wheel
- 2 packs Puff Pastry 500g block (17.3 oz) Ready rolled, block or homemade we used 2 x 500g blocks of Jus-rol Chilled Puff Pastry
- 3 tbsp Tomato and garlic puree
- 9 Slices Chorizo alternatively use pepperoni or ham
- 2 teaspoons Italian Dried Herbs
- 150 grams Grated mozzarella cheese (1 ½cup)
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400F fan.
- Lay 2 sheets of greaseproof paper down, bigger than your dinner plate, to roll the puff pastry out on. Flour the rolling pin to prevent it from sticking.
- Roll out pastry block away from you a couple of times, twist ¼ turn. Continue repeating this process. Always roll away from you a couple of times, then twisting ¼ turn every time. Until the square is big enough to fit the plate on top.
- With the plate on top of the rolled puff pastry use a knife to cut around for a perfect circle.
- Repeat on the other sheet.
- Spread tomato and garlic puree over 1 sheet of pastry, leaving a 1 inch gap free of puree all the way around.
- Add slices of chorizo, try not to overlap them.
- Add a sprinkle of Italian herbs and top with mozzarella.
- Use finger dapped in water and moisten the exposed circle
- Place the other circle over the top and put slight pressure on edges to help seal the two layers together
- Place a small ramekin/tumbler in the middle of the pastry wheel. This will stop you cutting too deep in & will later be where you store the same ramekin/tumbler to fill with ketchup or BBQ sauce.
- Cut into half each side of ramekin/tumbler, then half again, then half all of them once more! So there will be 16 segments in total.
- Beat the egg and add 1 tbsp of water. Use a brush to glaze the puff pastry
- Twist each section all the way around, twisting each section in the same direction. Egg wash the newly exposed side of puff pastry.
- Sprinkle over some more Italian herbs. Slide greaseproof paper on to a baking sheet and cook in the preheated fan oven 200°c/400F for 20-25 minutes
- Return ramekin pot to the centre of the wheel and add your chosen sauce to serve! Best served warm so you can pull at the twist and enjoy the stringy gooey cheese.
How to store Puff Pastry Pizza Wheel?
Once cooled if not eating straight away or of you have leftovers! Store in an air tight container or wrap in cling film. Keep refrigerated and eat within 2 days.
How to reheat Puff Pastry Pizza Wheel?
Put back in pre-heated fan oven 200c/400f for 5-10 minutes.